Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

floor shop press

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe W.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: floor shop press Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I need to have steel bent occasionally in my hobby and I have it done by a local welding shop. They do good work but it's pricey. Will a 20-ton floor shop press bend 3/8" x 1-1/2" flat steel? For my current wagon I need 10 pieces bent to 10 degrees and 6 pieces bent to 90 degrees. Harbor Freight has a 20-ton press for $140.

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: floor shop press Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have bent a lot of 1/4in flat with my 12ton.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: floor shop press Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think it probably will.

But you will need to build some type tooling to get the job done safely and have repeatability.

Not difficult, just some creative thinking and welding.

Keith Molden
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: floor shop press Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A good 20 ton bottle jack in my home made press will bend 1/2" with no problem, I made my press a little heavy. Made it out of 12" channel and 3/4" plate so I know it won't fly apart. I have put a 50 tom jack in it to bend some heavy plate but as a rule the 20 ton does all I ever need. Just make sure it can't fly out when you apply pressure, theres a lot of pressure when 20 ton is applied. Keith

Areo
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: floor shop press Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I made a jig by laying a husky piece of angle iron "on it's back" in "V" position
on a base plate with two more pieces, one on each side under the first piece.
Weld in place. Then another piece to lay inside of this with a plate welded on
top. If making multiple bends clamp these in place so they don't go out of place.
For less than 90 degree bends place blocks to limit the travel of the press.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: floor shop press Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think my 12 ton would bemd that.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: floor shop press Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good gosh, you can bend 3/8" X 1-1/2" in a shop vise, BY HAND! If you need a crisp bend you might need a hammer to "encourage" it a bit, but it sure doesn't take a 20-ton press!

If you are going to muck around to any degree bending stuff like that , GOOGLE "Hossfeld Bender".

RobCons
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: floor shop press Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A 20 ton will do that assuming the pieces are not to wide. That press is about about 18" wide I think. SWAG Offroad sells a brake kit to go in it to. Mine works great. If the strips are narrow, no more than 2" or so, HF sells a bender that works good too.

glennster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: floor shop press Reply to specific post Reply with quote

bob, i looked at the hossfeld bender for my shop. all the dies and accessories are sold separately. it quickly adds up to thousands of dollars. way too pricey for me.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: floor shop press Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Look for one at a shop going out of business sale. That's where mine came from. My late Uncle was lucky and got it quite reasonably.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: floor shop press Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For a finger brake that fits in your 20 ton press, look at Swag Offroad's 20 ton finger brake kit. Does up to 5/8" steel in a 20 ton press.

You do need to assemble it yourself but it's only $300 for the kit which is a far cry from anything else on the market.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: floor shop press Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Swag Offroad also sells a press brake kit with the same capacity for $200. The difference is you've only got one full-width die with the press brake, vs. different width finger dies with the finger brake.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters