Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

'49 9N not starting

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tfarr
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: '49 9N not starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

'49 9N
Died while running
Acts like the battery is completely dead.
New battery
New Solenoid
Will start and run if the solenoid is jumped.
Starter button is a rod not wires.

greywolf224
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: '49 9N not starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tfarr wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:08:57 02/06/1Cool '49 9N
Died while running
Acts like the battery is completely dead.
New battery
New Solenoid
Will start and run if the solenoid is jumped.
Starter button is a rod not wires.

Do you mean a 39 9N or a 49 8N?
Explain starter button is a rod not wires?

Jumping a solenoid and it keeps running would lend me to think you are pretty much narrowed down to a dirty connection bad solenoid or whatever the rod thingy is.

Tfarr
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: '49 9N not starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="greywolf224"](reply to post at 21:37:29 02/05/1Cool [/quote]
I was told it is a '49 9N, so I am not sure.

I was told the button you push to start the tractor would have wires which may need to be checked. I took the button off and it was a rod not wires.

greywolf224
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: '49 9N not starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I take it you mean the rod at the bottom of this button. If so that Rod disables you from starting the tractor When the tranny is in gear. Needs to be in neutral. If you look at the side of that button there’s a small screw. A wire needs to be attached to that screw and back to you solenoid. If the tractor is in neutral you’re allowed to press the button therefor grounding the solenoid and spinning the starter

greywolf224
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: '49 9N not starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BTW The above is for an 8N.

greywolf224
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: '49 9N not starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Following thread has a nice write up about a 9N starter switch and the mechanics around it.

http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?t=954029

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: '49 9N not starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You either have a 49 8N or a 39 9N.

The very first thing you need to do is figure out what tractor you have. It will make troubleshooting and buying parts a lot easier.

Click on the link: http://www.oldfordtractors.com/idhistory.htm

2 and 9N?s did not come from the factory with solenoids. They all had mechanical starter switches. When you press the starter switch, it pushes a piece of linkage into the switch which manually closes the contacts and completes the circuit. Unlike a solenoid which electrically closes the contacts and completes the circuit.
75 Tips

HCooke
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: '49 9N not starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does your tractor have a three or four speed transmission? That will tell us if you have a 9N or 8N. Also can you post a picture of your
solenoid?

Tfarr
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: '49 9N not starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="CVPost-HCooke"](quoted from post at 12:05:03 02/06/1Cool Does your tractor have a three or four speed transmission? That will tell us if you have a 9N or 8N. Also can you post a picture of your
solenoid?[/quote]

I will post a pick when I get home. I has a three speed.

Tfarr
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: '49 9N not starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="CVPost-HCooke"](reply to post at 12:05:03 02/06/1Cool [/quote]

It has a mechanical starter switch. I wonder if they added the solenoid later. It is new.
I will take pictures when I get home.

Tfarr
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: '49 9N not starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="Tfarr"](reply to post at 12:33:48 02/06/1Cool [/quote]

Tfarr
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: '49 9N not starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="Tfarr"](reply to post at 17:32:48 02/06/1Cool [/quote][img][/img]
[img]http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/mvphoto10271.jpg[/img]
[img]http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/10272.jpg[/img] [img]http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/10274.jpg[/img]

deanostoybox
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: '49 9N not starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

HCooke
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '49 9N not starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like you have a 9N (3 speed trans) with a 1948 8N engine in it. Not a problem and not the first time it's been done. You picture is a
started switch and not a solenoid. The switches go bad. If you need to replace it get a stater switch for a later 9N or 2N. The early 9N
switches wit on the dash and will not work for your tractor.

Tfarr
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: '49 9N not starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="CVPost-HCooke"](reply to post at 18:01:06 02/06/1Cool [/quote]
Thank you for your help.

Just to clarify the silver round object with wires is a starter switch? That is what I am jumping to get it to start (putting a screwdriver across the posts).

Is the button with the rod obsolete with the engine change to a newer year?

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters