Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ford 8N crankshaft gear removal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sfrench
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Ford 8N crankshaft gear removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello, Is there anyone out there that can tell me the best way to get the key out and the crankshaft gear off of the crank of a 1952 Ford 8N tractor. My timing gear was busted up and when I pulled it apart to replace I found teeth broken on the crankshaft gear also. I have the new one but I am having some problems getting the gear off of the shaft itself. I thank you in advance for any guidance you can give me on this. Very Happy

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N crankshaft gear removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sfrench wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:21:53 02/08/1Cool Hello, Is there anyone out there that can tell me the best way to get the key out and the crankshaft gear off of the crank of a 1952 Ford 8N tractor. My timing gear was busted up and when I pulled it apart to replace I found teeth broken on the crankshaft gear also. I have the new one but I am having some problems getting the gear off of the shaft itself. I thank you in advance for any guidance you can give me on this. Very Happy

I have never done one but I will go out on a limb and suggest a good gear puller....

TOH

sfrench
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N crankshaft gear removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TheOldHokie wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:40:11 02/08/1Cool
sfrench wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:21:53 02/08/1Cool Hello, Is there anyone out there that can tell me the best way to get the key out and the crankshaft gear off of the crank of a 1952 Ford 8N tractor. My timing gear was busted up and when I pulled it apart to replace I found teeth broken on the crankshaft gear also. I have the new one but I am having some problems getting the gear off of the shaft itself. I thank you in advance for any guidance you can give me on this. Very Happy

I have never done one but I will go out on a limb and suggest a good gear puller....

TOH
Thanks I would have thought the same thing but no room for gear puller on the back side of the gear and no bolt holes or slots in the gear itself to hook onto so I'm stumped what type it would be. I have several and none of them will hook onto it well enough to pull it off. I'm thinking about removing it from the block to be able to get to it.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N crankshaft gear removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe take an angle grinder with a slitting
wheel and carve away enough of the gear to get
a puller on it?
If the crank isn't going to the machine shop
take a plastic bag and tape and wrap it up
before you carve on the gear with the grinder.
You don't need to get grinding dust into the
oil galleys in the crank.

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N crankshaft gear removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sfrench wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:48:31 02/08/1Cool
TheOldHokie wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:40:11 02/08/1Cool
sfrench wrote:

TOH
Thanks I would have thought the same thing but no room for gear puller on the back side of the gear and no bolt holes or slots in the gear itself to hook onto so I'm stumped what type it would be. I have several and none of them will hook onto it well enough to pull it off. I'm thinking about removing it from the block to be able to get to it.

That is what I suspected. In that cases a bearing splitter in conjunction with a slide hammer or screw puller would be my next idea.

TOH

Den N Ms
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N crankshaft gear removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sfrench, A little heat around the outer diameter of the gear with a propane torch or oxy/Acet and a lady foot bar or pry bar should bring it right off.Just keep heat off the crank snout.

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N crankshaft gear removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Den N Ms wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:32:12 02/08/1Cool Sfrench, A little heat around the outer diameter of the gear with a propane torch or oxy/Acet and a lady foot bar or pry bar should bring it right off.Just keep heat off the crank snout.

I would be even more careful with that heat. I would imagine the gear teeth are hardened and you wouldn't want to anneal them.

TOH

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N crankshaft gear removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have never removed one on a ford N on the tractor but have with the crank out they are tight. I have removed a plenty of others on the tractor/cars by drilling and tapping threads and using a puller... In all these cases they were press on gears a N should be a cakewalk...

sfrench
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N crankshaft gear removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hobo,NC wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:27:10 02/08/1Cool
I have never removed one on a ford N on the tractor but have with the crank out they are tight. I have removed a plenty of others on the tractor/cars by drilling and tapping threads and using a puller... In all these cases they were press on gears a N should be a cakewalk...
Thanks everyone that has commented. I have a lot of suggestions and ideas to try.

ASEguy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N crankshaft gear removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those work great to pull crank gears that I have done.

sfrench
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N crankshaft gear removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-ASEguy wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:42:46 02/10/1Cool Those work great to pull crank gears that I have done.
Thanks for the help. I have it removed now. I welded some nuts onto each side of the broken teeth gear and used a bolt type puller and pulled it right off. Thanks

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N crankshaft gear removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cool

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N crankshaft gear removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sfrench wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:11:50 02/10/1Cool
CVPost-ASEguy wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:42:46 02/10/1Cool Those work great to pull crank gears that I have done.
Thanks for the help. I have it removed now. I welded some nuts onto each side of the broken teeth gear and used a bolt type puller and pulled it right off. Thanks

Doh! I should pay closer attention - I was thinking you wanted to reuse the gear Embarassed

TOH

HFJ
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N crankshaft gear removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TheOldHokie wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:25:16 02/10/18 )

Doh! I should pay closer attention

i keep telling myself that. every now and then, it actually works Smile

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters