Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Propane Tank For A Propane Cutting Torch

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane Tank For A Propane Cutting Torch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

T hose is required, and it has been the standard hose for about 40 years now. I have run a 20# lp running thorough a OPD valve with no trouble at all. The only reason to mark a tank For Welding Only, is a tank less than 33# needs a OPD Valve unless it is a commercial use(cutting)

Dave Sherburne, NY
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane Tank For A Propane Cutting Torch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I hope he is getting hoses made for LP gas because they are different from acetylene gas. Hopefully the guys who are selling what he needs will know what they are selling.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane Tank For A Propane Cutting Torch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I already had the 30# tanks for my camper and I bought my tanks back in I think it was 79. I have been told to turn oxygen on a bit before turning on LP and other ways and just could not get things to work. In the bright sun I could see the acetlene flame to adjust after getting lit, the LP if I managed to get lit I could not see the flame to tell if I was getting it adjusted or not. Some years I might go thru 2 tanks and other years not even a full tank so I don't use enough that cost was enough to compensate for the problems I was having.

Paul in MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane Tank For A Propane Cutting Torch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Leroy,

You are right, when lighting the flame is hard to see in sunlight. So I have a "box" about 5" square open on both ends (scrap steel) that I use to light the torch. The box is dark inside so I can see the flame easily and it shields the gas coming from the torch tip so the gas doesn't just blow away. I do most of my torch work outside so as to not create a fire risk in the barn/shop. One BBQ tank lasts me 2 to 3 years.

To each their own. I'm not trying to sell anyone on the use of LP, but I have found it to be a successful solution in my shop and shops of both of my sons. None of the 3 of us is into welding with Acetylene, just heating, cutting, and bending. I have been able to braze sheet metal items like oil pans with the LP/Oxy.

Paul in MN

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane Tank For A Propane Cutting Torch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I only use the torch for cutting and heating. That box is something to remember if I try the LP again.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane Tank For A Propane Cutting Torch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is when you are trying for 5 minuts to get torch lit and still not getting it done for that 30 second job and turn torch off you get disgusted and give up and go back to something you can get lit and get that 30 second job done.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters