Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Tool of the day

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flembo
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Tool of the day Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is no need for guessing on this one it's Grandma's Button Box.

coshoo
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Tool of the day Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I remember it well. I wonder how many of today's grandmas have a button box? Or even know how to sew on a button?

DGinVT
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Tool of the day Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most of us grew up Mother's Grandma's button box. It was a big help in that eraand still is today.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Tool of the day Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How many of us played with the buttons in the box???? We never had Legos or even Lincoln Logs. We played with my Grand Mother and Great Grand Mother's buttons.

Southern Ray
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Tool of the day Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One was for buttons and another for rolls of thread and string remnants.

oldsarge
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Tool of the day Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Grandpa(ME) knows...............

Richard G.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Tool of the day Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My wife is a grandma and can sew buttons on and sew about anything she wants to.
I built her a sewing room on the back of my shop and she is in it almost every evening.
Richard

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Tool of the day Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My grandmothers button box was a turned wood affair with a carved top she got from her grandmother. I wonder what ever happened to it? Haven't thought about it in 40 years!

ArleninOr
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Tool of the day Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Played with them all the time. Now that I'm a grandpa, I still play with grandma's buttons!!1

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Tool of the day Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Now that you mention it, in 52 years of marriage I can't recall ever seeing my wife sew a button on anything. I sew my own buttons when necessary and have no idea what she does with hers.

sms
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Tool of the day Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Same here, the missus quilts, used to make clothes, doll clothes. Knits crochet, whatever needs to be done. Spends time now making things for grandchildren and their cousins.

Crazy Horse
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Tool of the day Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"Sorting" or "Classifying" buttons is a great activity for kids, they love it. Organize by # of holes, color, size, shape, texture, etc. No end to ways to do it, and kids love it. Gets them to put their hand held devices away for a while.

old-9
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tool of the day Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I learned to sew buttons when I had my government job,(Army).

T.R.K.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Tool of the day Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That brings back memories.
I sorted buttons for Grandmother. I had to tie them up on threads after I sorted them into piles of similar buttons.

Does anyone remember cutting the buttons off discarded clothes and saving them? Mother and Grandmother did that.

Mother also taught me to sew on my own buttons. When I went off to college she made me back one of those traveling sewing kits. (And it came in handy more than once!)

flembo
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Tool of the day Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's why this button box came out yesterday, I was cutting the buttons off of an old flannel shirt to go in the rag bag.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters