Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

OT home service electric panel upgrade

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoubleO7
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: OT home service electric panel upgrade Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You might want to explore upgrading your single phase service.
And then just getting a 3 phase generator, natural gas or diesel for your shop equipment. Unless your using your three phase equipment for production 5 days a week, 8 hours a day.

You could even go so far as to get a genset that can supply both single and three phase. And it could do double duty as an emergency whole house genset.

Might work out to be more economical than going the power company route. And if you move out, you take it all with you.

kevinstuff
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: OT home service electric panel upgrade Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok just called the utility and they said yes!
to the 3 phase and as it?s already on the
pole = no cost from utility. So I need to
start shopping for entrance panel and
breakers, I thank all of you for your
input

pinball
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: OT home service electric panel upgrade Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have an older elect system you will need to contact your electric company. They may have to install a bigger transformer.

DoubleO7
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: OT home service electric panel upgrade Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-kevinstuff wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:46:56 02/09/1Cool Ok just called the utility and they said yes!
to the 3 phase and as it?s already on the
pole = no cost from utility. So I need to
start shopping for entrance panel and
breakers, I thank all of you for your
input

If it were me and they said yes, with no cost from utility over the phone, I would not start buying stuff before I made an appointment to have them come out for an engineering evaluation.
Or what ever they might call it. Then get something in writing as far as what they will supply and what you will supply.

Dave Sherburne, NY
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: OT home service electric panel upgrade Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My son bought a huge building that had 3 phase power already in it, but it was installed in about 1902 or older He had some 3 phase power tools so he had to update to todays standards. Starting with a new circuit breaker panel $550 instead of $129 for 200amp. Circuit breakers cost a lot more. Tho you can get 120/240 out of the breaker panel. Of course when you want 120/240 200ft away at the other end of the building, that's another panel. I think there are at least 5 circuit breaker panels through out the building. Then there are the monthly bills, His are $800 to $1000 a month turns out NYSEG charges more per KW for 3 phase in a commercial bldg.
My opinion, Update to a good 200 amp entrance and get or make a phase converter on wheels that you can use at the different machines

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: OT home service electric panel upgrade Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The previous posters have the topic thoroughly covered. Only consideration I can think of is to install a breaker panel that allows a simple reliable legal and safe connection to a standby generator.
A three phase panel will supply 208 to your 240V appliances. Not the best choice for 240V air conditioners or well pumps.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.200-amp-combination-generator-panel-with-36-circuits-backup-and-80-circuits-total.1000722206.html

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: OT home service electric panel upgrade Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try to use Square D equipment.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters