Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

starter grinding

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexis.marcil
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: starter grinding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is it normal for a starter to grind occasionally (half the time I start it) for 1 or 2 second then it stops and run smoothly until the motor start? I removed the starter, cleaned it, the teeth looks nice. The flywheel teeth also looks normal, not grinded or worn. I did a bench test and everything works fine. I don't think it's a bendix type because when I disconnect the power, on the bench, the gear returns to place without centrifugal force. I supposed sometime the teeth are not aligned between the starter and the flywheel and it grind for a few teeth before taking it's place... should I be worried?

thanks

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: starter grinding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What tractor and is it 6 or 12 volts?? Hard for us to help you help your self with out a lot more info

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: starter grinding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very strange behavior for a starter, but a chattering solenoid could be described as grinding. Cleaning cable terminals may cure it.

alexis.marcil
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: starter grinding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it's a white 1470 12v

flembo
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: starter grinding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am watching this post because my Ford 1710 does a similar thing when it is cold it started doing it when we had that real cold spell. I took the solenoid apart and cleaned and lubed it but it still did it. So now I aim my salamander heater right at the starter for a few minutes and it works fine. I really don't like that grinding sound so after finding the heat works I haven't tried it without it. BTW after starting once it starts normal every time it was just the first try. Maybe someone can help us both.

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: starter grinding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The bendex is failing.

alexis.marcil
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: starter grinding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

even tough the bench test is fine?

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: starter grinding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well just wait till completely quits are tars sum'M up...

Seriously a bench test is not 100% prof its good throw a drive on it, its a good bet it will solve your issue...

Gene Davis (Ga.)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: starter grinding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That type is referred to as a solenoid shifted starter drive.

Northvale PA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: starter grinding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree. Replace the bending now, before it breaks all the way

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: starter grinding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is likely something worn or binding inside the starter.

The drive gear is supposed to engage before the starter energizes. If there is a bind, or wear in the shift mechanism, the starter will still energize, but since the teeth are not engaged, they grind.

If you are comfortable completely disassembling, and know what to look for, it can probably be repaired. Or take it to a starter rebuilder.

Continuing to operate it will eventually damage the flywheel gear.

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: starter grinding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What you need to be worried about is eventually wearing the side of the flywheel teeth away. A bench test won’t tell you much because there is no load for the starter and no resistance against the drive when the solenoid pushes it out.

I have a tractor with a starter that will occasionally grind and not engage. I have to wait for it to coast down to a stop and try again. It doesn’t do it regularly but just often enough to aggravate me. It has done this for at least 15 years and through that time I have replaced everything on that starter except for the main frame, fields and end cap. The ring gear has even been replaced because it was worn out.

On yours I suspect the drive, or Bendix as it is commonly called is getting weak.

rubberwrench
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: starter grinding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had the same problem on my 1510 was bad ground cable.

rubberwrench
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: starter grinding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had the same problem on 1510 was bad ground cable.

caterpillar guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: starter grinding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you cleaned it and used regular gun grease on things it may be just to stiff for things to slide easy enough to engage right. Might want to disassemble and wipe the grease off then lub with a softer lighter grease or a light film of oil instead.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters