Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Thoughts on 1850 diesel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chas036
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Thoughts on 1850 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just bought a 1800a gas and love it, and now I have the oliver bug and want another one with more power. I saw an 1850 diesel with just the two speed in Lori Lin Farms in Orrstown PA for $5800 and I am thinking on going to look at it. I like this model because the two speed seems much easier to work on that the ones with hydra power. Is this 1850 model a good overall tractor and was the diesel motor reliable? What are some obvious problems I should look for when testing it out? I don't have experience with diesels other than my JD 720. Do you think $4000 a reasonable offer for this tractor? If you search on tractorhouse you can see the photos.

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 1850 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you mean the transmission HI-LO range only, then tractor is six speed. The Two speed Hydra-Power shift on the go makes it twelve forward, four reverse. Over-Under three speed shift is eighteen forward, six reverse. THAT'S what I'd want..

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 1850 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Olivers answer to the 4020 Deere. One of the best models Oliver built. Dependable engine,excellent on fuel.

hd6gtom
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 1850 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good reliable old tractors, just remember the 2 speeds free wheel in low side. Its been 40 + years since I ran a 3 speed can't remember if they do too. Somebody refresh the old memory please.

greg oliver
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 1850 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep they freewheel in under.

chas036
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 1850 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-greg oliver wrote:
(quoted from post at 03:09:00 02/11/1Cool Yep they freewheel in under.

What do you mean "free wheel". ?

One1755left
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 1850 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Going down hill in under is the same as neutral. Engine will not hold hold it from coasting.

kevinecwi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 1850 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm currently overhauling the perkins engine in my 1850, sticking a lot of time and money into an old tractor. It's been a love/hate relationship with this tractor over the years but when it's good there isn't a better 90-100 hp tractor around. I can put up with the quirks of the fifty series hydraulics.
If you can buy it for $4000 great. I wouldn't sell mine that cheap.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 1850 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Olivers are pretty popular in that area so 4K probably won't buy it with Spring coming and all.Also if you like Olivers you need to swing down to Newville and check out Harry Barricks
place he has a good size collection of interesting Olivers plus a neat store and huge tire business.

larry duda
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 1850 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We had a 1850 diesel. One of the best 90-100 hp tractors ever made buy anyone. If would be hard to figure out which was better between the 1650 and the 1850. Two of the greatest tractors ever made. I am a little biased but I would take a 1850 over JD 4020 any day.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters