Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

John Deere plow bottoms

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere plow bottoms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies the shares on the plow are in excellent shape but it?s always nice to keep a replacement or two on hand

Tyler-MO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere plow bottoms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You look to have an F120 plow based on what I see in the photos. NGP (New General Purpose) type bottoms were available up through the 1960's as a special order type item although rarely seen on plows made in the 1960's.

That 8224 brace was used on a lot of bottoms and it won't narrow down your bottom specifically to less than a hand full. The guess is that you have 14" bottoms although the frame size may be 12" (hard to eyeball that) as it was a seldom seen optional size on the F110/ F120 plows.
Steve Rea who owns/ operates Ploworx.com is making new shares in 12, 14, and 16 inch sizes to fit most of the NGP series his parts are nice and he is very pleasant to deal with. Steve Smith from Ohio specializes in IHC & Oliver although he may happen to have what your plow would require...just have to check with him.

You will want to remove a plow share to confirm a part number as there is a small possibility that the bottoms on your plow may be of the "heavy-duty" variety meaning different plow shares versus the more common NGP series. The below share numbers will be mixed in with alphabetical prefixes such as BC BCA BH BHA among others but the number is what you need to know...
215 share = 12" NGP common
217 share = 14" NGP common
250 share = 14 NGP heavy duty (will not interchange with the 217 shares)

You may also want to look at some plow books written on the subject by David Wolfe (see website link) for additional information.
Best of luck to you on your quest and you never know... once you know the part numbers you need perhaps you'll get lucky in finding some at auction this year on a pallet for cheap. New shares will cost you well north of $100 each and used that are worthwhile perhaps between $50-$75 each. There are options for what you'll need but it's up to you to decide the value you're willing to put on having extra parts.

Disclaimer...
The above may be best taken with a grain of salt as it might simply be hog wash coming from someone is purportedly only a "part re-seller"... of course for the fun part of message boards you get the liberty of deciding for yourself what is good information among the alternative information.
ThePlowBookSite

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere plow bottoms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good information. I just ment by reseller that he might just as well go to Steve and the factory as him having to order thru you and then you having to still order from Steve. I have never delt with you or met you but I think you do good with other things and if you can find those shares laying around forgotten about someplace. One thing on the numbers that you did not mention is if the old shares are Star brand that most shares around here were, made for all makes, they had their own numbers so they are not the same as the factory numbers so you would need the old conversion charts for converting if from their numbers to Deere numbers no way to convert that I know except visual and try. I think Cressent forge might have had their own numbers but don't know. I have hammered sharping many a share with a forge and andville in my time. Some of the shares I just sold to Steve Smith last November had the star numbering on them. We need all the parts guys like you.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere plow bottoms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch for the info . Buy the way I love your site it?s very helpful

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters