Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Speaking of Hay

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfman
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Speaking of Hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is it a local thing or much the same elsewhere? Around here in southwest PA hay isn't moving. I'm sitting on 8000 squares and 100 rounds and winter is past half over. Some old customers have died off, others sold their herd or flock. Haven't advertised hard but might have to or just cut back and go to tractor shows. We need tractors that eat hay.

NEKS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Speaking of Hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In my area it was a little dry last summer. I always sold some hay to a dairy farm starting in late February. This year he called early December. I could of sold him over a 150 big bales if I could of found some.

Lanse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Speaking of Hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here in N Texas rounds are EVERYWHERE. I can drive 5 miles down the road and see 3-4 places selling them, and I'm not even looking. Even TSC has probably 10 for sale out front. I dont know much anyone wants or if they're actually moving them, but there doesnt *seem* to be a shortage around here.

Ray Tractor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Speaking of Hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We are short on hay here in Indiana, with the colder than normal winter. Everyone I know that sells it is out.

Brendon Warren
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Speaking of Hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I sold out a month ago. We had a very wet summer and it was hard to put up good hay. I could've sold a lot more if I had it. Mine were all small squares. There are lots of late September round bales to be had. I'm in NNY. Most of my hay went to New Hampshire.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Speaking of Hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Local buy-sell-trade paper is full of hay for sale,seems to be a lot more hay and a lot less critters to eat it.I make way more than I need still have a few 2016 bales left to go.

730virgil
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Speaking of Hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i'm told hay is getting hard to find here on il wi state line i thought i was sitting good in oct. now i don't know
still a long time until may 15 when i was hoping to (open the gate)

James Howell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Speaking of Hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sold all of our hay in late December.

Long time customer bought all the Coastal Bermuda round bales before the first cutting.

Sold a lot of Pensacola/Tifton 9 Bahiagrass bales to other long time customers.

Sold last 90 bales to a new customer in December.

Normally all the round bales are sold within about 2 weeks of cutting.

Almost forgot to mention that our farm is in NE Texas.

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Speaking of Hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bring it to western Colorado. Due to a hard late May freeze,and the a bad 'bug' infestation first cut was short to none. Other cuttings were short too.We need hay,as there is little to be had.

Dopp Creek
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Speaking of Hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My last eight tons of small squares left this week here in NW Oregon. Cheap stuff went for 140/ton; the best sold for 180/ton. Typically I have some in the barn through April. I can clean it out early this year and make some repairs/improvements before we start again in May.

randy1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Speaking of Hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

HI I'AM in western pa I buy round all year round for horses and 600 sq for in barn, I have good supplier who dont mind loading 2 at a time on my truck, I get 2 loads the day I haul.. ck your prices, alot of people up this way are looking for hay.

Bruce from Can.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Speaking of Hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lots of hay on the market here in Ontario , most of it is junk . Too much rain last summer, made for poor conditions for curing hay for dry bales. Lots of hay was baled tough , or after being rained on.

Keith Molden
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Speaking of Hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here in S.E. Ohio everybody that can get a tractor and baler put hay up last summer and now have mixed grass hay for sale, some for 2.00 a bale. I didn't bale as much squares as I usually do but I'v sold all of mine and I'm down to about 10-15 4x4 rounds in the building that I want to sell. The rest is for my horses. Those that sell for 2.00 have never and probably won't put any fert or lime on those fields and are the ones that think mixed grass includes weeds and briars. They usually go out of business in a year or two when people won't buy their hay. Keith

Part Time Pete
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Speaking of Hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have one buyer that takes all my good hay out to Massachusetts (I'm in Central NY). I've sent out 5 semi loads so far - there's one left in the barn, but the driveway is so icy, we can't get the truck backed up it.
The weather wasn't great in June and July for first cutting, but a lot of nice second cutting was made in September and October
Pete

fred goodrich
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Speaking of Hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bought a load of nice 2nd for 1.50 at local consignment sale Sat, hay just isn't moving right now.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters