Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

to-20 stuck clutch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pronuco

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: to-20 stuck clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a to-20 that sat through the winter outside and now has a stuck clutch. What is the best way to correct this? Any good ways to prevent it?

FergieFlyer

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: to-20 stuck clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you mean it is stuck engaged? If so, there have been a few methods mentioned on this forum from time to time. Some work, some don't, some are dangerous. You might try just popping it into 1st gear a couple times while idling. My TO-35's clutch was stuck and after trying a couple other things it just unstuck after I popped it in gear. Also, I've heard of getting it going down the road at a good speed, then stepping on the brakes hard to break it loose. Other methods that involve drawbars, chains and trees have been brought up, but I don't recommend that, unless you like going upside down backwards. Maybe others have some other suggestions. I guess if nothing works the tractor will have to be split. As far as preventing it.....my TO-35 sits most of the winter, so I take some rope and tie the clutch down part-way whenever it is inactive more that a couple of months.

WESTY

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: to-20 stuck clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I HAVE FREED CLUTCHES BY STARTING MOTORS RUNNING TO OPERATING TEMPERTURE AND GETTING INTO HIGHEST GEAR POSSIBLE WITH FOOT ON BRAKE DEPRESSING CLUTCH PEDAL UP AND DOWN WHILE MOVING

phil(va)

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: to-20 stuck clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As others mentioned, some methods could be dangerous. Not sure of exact situation, but if you can get it in gear and start it in gear (bypassing safety switch) you might try hooking it to a plow and starting it in the highest gear you are comfortable with in a field where you can't hit anything, drive off with the plow and then drop the plow into the ground. That was the method Big Dean suggested to me, and although it didn't work for me at the time, I did try it and didn't get hurt and I can see how it might work a good percentage of the time. Does the 20 have the small hole in the bell housing for timing the tractor? Is yours open? Mine was, and that was how a mouse got inside my clutch and built a nest, putting moisture in there over a winter, which caused mine to seize.

gshadel

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: to-20 stuck clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Prevention - make sure your start switch housing is sealed good on top your bell housing. I've heard several guys say they leave a brick, or other heavy object on the clutch peddle over-Winter to keep clutch from rusting together.

George

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters