Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

cold blooded IH gassers

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: cold blooded IH gassers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In my experience, the 6-cylinders start just fine in the winter, but there's a lot of finessing the choke until they warm up.

Usually with an older 4-cylinder you only need to touch the choke once, the first time you let the clutch out.

If you're waiting 15 minutes, you need to do some tuning. Freshen up the ignition, get the timing right, make sure it's firing on all 4 cylinders, and adjust your carburetor a little bit richer, I'd say.

Zachary Hoyt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: cold blooded IH gassers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 300 has always been hard to start below freezing. Once it starts I only have to run it for a minute or so and then I can put it to work, unless the temperatures are below 0 and then it takes a few minutes to warm up. My best results starting the 300 are to set the throttle about 1/4 open, choke fully closed, turn the gas on at the tank and when it pops if it doesn't stay running I put the throttle all the way to idle and it will usually fire again and stay running. If it's in the teens or below I remove the #2 and 3 spark plugs, pour about a tablespoon of chainsaw mix gas in each cylinder, put the plugs back in and proceed as above. Once it runs for more than 3 or 4 seconds it will run all day, and I can shut it off and start it again with no problem, it's just that first start that's really hard. Above freezing it will usually start the first time I push the button, unless it has been sitting for a couple of weeks or longer and than it can take a bit of cranking to get it started.
Zach

PretendFarmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: cold blooded IH gassers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

4 cylinder updraft carb engines are harder to start than 6 cylinder updraft carb engines, in my opinion.

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: cold blooded IH gassers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Guess ya need someone that knows how to work on them and tune them properly . My S/H will start down to -30 below on a 6 volt with 30 weight oil but refuses to start a -35 , my old 460 gas stared during the blizzard of 78 setting out in the open on top of a hill in -35 first hit with 30 weight oil , my 67 706 gasser started down that cold after setting for several months with out being run . Now are you going to just stuff them in gear and go , NO but give them a few min. warm up and there ready to do what ever . All my close friends have farmall gassers and they are the go to tractors for dairy operation during the winter and not once have i ever been called to get one of them going during the cold winter days . But they do get good tune ups every year . Just stuffing a set of plugs in and points is NOT a tune up , makes for a good start but a tune up is more then that .

povertyknob
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: cold blooded IH gassers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

New sleeves,rings,pistons,pins,pin bushings,valves guides cut down and the perfect circle valve seals put on, valve adjustment, electronic ignition, 92 octane gas,carb pulled apart soaked passages cleaned out with torch tip cleaners or fine wire,then blown out with compressed air every which way, oh and the heat riser fixed..
Does all that count for a "good tune-up"??

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: cold blooded IH gassers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have heard on here many time they will start better with regular gas. That's all I ever use in our C, with a little diesel added to prevent corrosion and it starts great.

Dave H (MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: cold blooded IH gassers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you really read TV's post, you will understand what he said...which was absolutely nothing. A lot of talk about tractors starting in polar cold...maybe they did maybe they did not. I hate posts like that because they educate no one. Not saying he is not a talented mechanic...he is. Not saying he doesn't help a lot of people with their tractor problems...he does.

Just not this time.

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: cold blooded IH gassers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think the vet just got tired of listening to peoples answers and had to throw something out there. I too believe the IH tractors are great starters in cold weather. Everyone seems to have their own way of getting them going and if it works for them that is all that is necessary.

If I was there I think I could throw original poster a few ideas but would have to observe his starting technique and how the engine was reacting to his way of doing things. Might just be the choke is not closing all the way. Maybe the relief valve in the choke butterfly is gone or has a weak spring. Who knows. Not to get into oil arguments, but the weight of the oil is one of the very very very most important details often over looked. We don't want to be carrying different oils on hand. I give out poor information at times and so do you. Have read many of your answers.

Dave H (MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: cold blooded IH gassers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

LOL.....who me?!?!? I don't know enough to answer much!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters