Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Finding a vid on bailer wire tie mech

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farmallb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Finding a vid on bailer wire tie mech Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anybody know where I can see a vid on a hay bailers wire tying mech in operation. Preferably Case 140 W, and preferably SLOW lol. But, at this stage, I aint picky.
As I envision it in my mind, the needle brings in the wire to the tying mech and backs out leaving it there in a U shape. one leg of that U is in the knives which cut it so that its in a I on one side and a J on the other.
I read once that in operating the 140 W Bailer (That if you are going to bale with the 140, put the hay to it). Or something like that. That tells me, that Case intended, as part of the tie operation that the wires should be continually moving downwards in the chamber with the bale. I cant imagine or figger that one out in my mind just setting here and trying to figure out why it wont tie, and why it keeps wrapping the wire around the shafts holding the fingers, just hand cycling it without no hay in the chamber.
Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Finding a vid on bailer wire tie mech Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You're partially correct as when needle brings wire up from the bottom the end of the wire with the "u shape" that has been cut by the knife is held in gripper not the knife.

Is you baler experiencing wire tying problems? If so what type of problem?

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding a vid on bailer wire tie mech Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You have to have hay in it to properly tie. Or,pull a loop of wire ,hold it secure with a bar across the chamber.It will not tie without hay or something to create a loop in the wire.It has to have something to tie around.Did you check the knives/anvils? The wire must be crisply cut.If not it tears,wraps,balls up.......... Look up Wire tie knotters(twisters);wire tie baler,or something like that on Utube.Utube is full of such videos.

Farmallb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding a vid on bailer wire tie mech Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The wire wraps around the twister finger rod. Im getting a repair book Mon hopefully. I need to know where the twister fingers are supposed to rest. I need to know where the rod below the twister finger rod is supposed to be set.
I can feel grooves on a block of metel that is, or is part of the cutting system.

Farmallb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding a vid on bailer wire tie mech Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I went 20 pages on U Tubes looking for something to do with the wire tie mech. I typed in as a heading (Wire tie mech repair on hay bailers.) 90% had to do with twine knotters, other than stationery bailers that used wire.
I felt the top of a block of steel that had grooves in it, that was on the cutting side of things.

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding a vid on bailer wire tie mech Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That could be your problem. the groove lets the wire fall 'away' from the knife. the knife may be grooved,too. In that case,the wire is getting 'smeared',not cleanly cut.In my experiences,the wire not getting cleanly cut is 90% of the wire tying problems.The twister/hook may be also grooved. Grooveing is NOT your friend.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Finding a vid on bailer wire tie mech Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IIRC JI Case wire sq balers have an adjustable rod next to twister shaft similar to NH wire balers. I personally don't know the correct method for setting this rod but I would guess similar to NH wire balers.

Ditto groove on twister hook or twister shaft can hang wire. The point of twister hook on JD wire balers should be directly under gripper arm pivot bolt when in home position. But if wire is hanging I have backed hook up a little to the RH side of tying system.

IMHO the baling wire made today isn't near as oily as it was back in the 60's-80's so I always pour oil on the wire in the boxes

Farmallb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Finding a vid on bailer wire tie mech Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Groovy, lol.

Farmallb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Finding a vid on bailer wire tie mech Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know what a gripper arm pivot bolt is. I pour a qt of oil 1/2 over each box each year.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Finding a vid on bailer wire tie mech Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Blue arrow points to gripper pivot bolt hole.

Farmallb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Finding a vid on bailer wire tie mech Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have the rod that holds the twister hook, and the hook,. My hook ends up at a point. but that's it.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Finding a vid on bailer wire tie mech Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I couldn't locate the JI Case 140 parts catalog so I posted NH parts but all small sq balers are similar. Key 9 in my photo is the gripper arm that moves from side to side that gripper/knife(key 8) attaches to. Point of twister hook(key 17) should set under hole with blue arrow pointing at it when tying system is in home position

photo from JD parts catalog

Farmallb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding a vid on bailer wire tie mech Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't see a Key 8 or 9, NOR no blue arrow. I have something called an anvil, which I believe grips the wire. What it grips the wire against, I don't know. I may have to take the anvil s out and have them welded in and smoothed out again as they have grooves in them.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding a vid on bailer wire tie mech Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Farmallb wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:31:32 03/09/18) Don't see a Key 8 or 9, NOR no blue arrow.

So you can't view the photos I posted Correct?

Farmallb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding a vid on bailer wire tie mech Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Viewed them perfectly. There was NO #8 OR 9. I didn't see an arrow, blue or otherwise, as all was in black.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters