Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Speaking of Can Openers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian G. NY
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Speaking of Can Openers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got me to thinking about a couple of other can openers.

Anybody remember the tobacco cans with the little opener fastened to the top?

How about sardine cans with the little key attached to the top?

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Speaking of Can Openers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Brian G. NY wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:31:52 03/08/1Cool Got me to thinking about a couple of other can openers.

Anybody remember the tobacco cans with the little opener fastened to the top?

How about sardine cans with the little key attached to the top?

You are forgetting about canned coffee from those days, and canned hams!

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Speaking of Can Openers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Never could bring myself to do sardines or tobacco, but I remember a lot of cans had the metal band around the outside that opened with a key.

Spam, caned ham, Crisco, just a few that come to mind.

Remember the GM Delco parts cans? A paper can with metal ends, a string pull to open and the top would fit back on. Those had to be expensive to make!

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Speaking of Can Openers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes A&P coffee. My folks like the 8'o clock coffee. When I was a kid I
got to open the can. Thought it was very important.

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Speaking of Can Openers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And I remember the sliced fingers.

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Speaking of Can Openers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think SPAM used to come with the key/twist-off metal strip.

And some kind of canned ham that my parents bought.

Agree - they are handy-dandy finger slicers too.

sms
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Speaking of Can Openers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I remember the twist keys. And of course the removable pop top beverage
cans. Did you collect the tops and make chains of them?

larry@stinescorner
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Speaking of Can Openers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

that was some good coffee ,remember they ground it fresh and put it in bags?The three choices////Eight o clock,,red circle,,,and bokar,,,,remember that?

flembo
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Speaking of Can Openers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can you still get those canned Hams? They sure were a fad in the 70's I remember big stacks of them in the grocery stores.

glennster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Speaking of Can Openers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

we called em ham keys. wimmens like to ham key blankets too!!!! tuck the edge of the blanket under the arm and then roll up hoggin all the covers. yup, the ham-key maneuver!!! krakus ham still comes in the can with the key.

BMACK518N
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Speaking of Can Openers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes they did and yes they were.

Village Blacksmith
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Speaking of Can Openers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep---I found a little box in the old shop that had about 20 of those keys in it. Don't know
why anyone would save them.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters