Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

GVI, Diesel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skycarp

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: GVI, Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am looking for a MM to restore.

I see a GVI diesel for sale. I also see there were approx. 3200 of
the GVI D made.

Are replacement parts a problem?

Are there specific problems with the GVI D that I should be
looking for?

Thanks for any replys.

John in utah

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: GVI, Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey SKYCARP, where are you at. I have a GVI and love it. Haven't needed to get any parts yet though. It runs real good and I sure have fun with it.

Skycarp

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: GVI, Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi John,

I am in Kanab, UT. I see one in TX for sale.

Skycarp

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: GVI, Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi John,

I am in Kanab, UT. I see one in TX for sale.

James22

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: GVI, Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a GVI. The hydraulic valve housing is aluminum with steel spools. The later series used steel bodies. My JD 35 loader had similar Cessna valves and the replacement look-a-like valve had a iron body. Bought one for the loader and it was expensive. Tried to get two more a few years later for the GVI and they are no longer available. Tried a little to get a valve from the later series, but finally gave up and found an aftermarket two spool valve that would fit and use the lever controls. The early GVI's had a PSB injection pump that is expensive to work on and parts are difficult to find. The top compression rings are not thick enough and generally break around 3000 hours, requiring a rebuild. Poor starting and a lot of white smoke at 50 degrees F or above ambients, probably means a rebuild if you are going to work it much. The rear crankshaft seal, packing is not the best design, but MM continued to use it. My 950-1050 have the same design with an improved packing material.

James22

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: GVI, Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I intended to state that the later series used a cast iron rather than steel valve body.

Howard H.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: GVI, Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got a GVI diesel with a front-wheel assist and a cab on it! Cool looking old tractor.

It is a little cold-blooded - I've heard it's the "power cell" arrangement in the engine which drops compression some, but it is fun to play with, anyway...

Howard

Skycarp

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: GVI, Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Howard,

Thanks for the information. With a front wheel assist, you must
be real strong.

Are you using your GVI to pull with? If so what weight are you in
and are you keeping up with the JD's?

Skycarp

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: GVI, Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good information on the problems with the GVI. 'preciate it.

Howard H.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: GVI, Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No - no pulling around my place... I farmed until I (and my banker - ha) were tired of it and just play with them now...

I work at an office job now and it is just fun to relax and tinker with them...

HH

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Minneapolis Moline All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters