Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

massey ferguson three bottom plow tripping

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
massey9556
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: massey ferguson three bottom plow tripping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey guys, I have a three bottom older massey plow. While using it today the plows started tripping and I can't get them to stop. Tightened all
bolts. Still trips. Looking for some help if y'all don't mind sharing any links that you may know of or knowledge. I'm 33. Thinking about growing
some nursery stock. I did not grow up farming or using equipment. All of my quipmnt is old. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

carvel minne farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: massey ferguson three bottom plow tripping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

welcome to yt massey, do you have the book for the plow? if not just google up that model plow manual for sale and you should be able to get one. there is usually a spring/dog latch set up in them, could be broken springs or latch or just full of crude and muck not allowing the latch to lock up? john.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: massey ferguson three bottom plow tripping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also the way the latch is made the top corner of the vertical part of beam the bottom is bolted on chips off and then they will not hold. Mine was a 4 bottom but made same way and every bottom was like that. I did not know about things when I bought it and found out after I had it that someone previous to me had drilled that beam and side plates to put a shear bolt in and that is the way I used things for years. If yours is that way you will have to take things comepletely apart and a good welder (that I am NOT) could weld up that corner that chips off, it is only less than an eighth of an inch that the corner needs to be welded back up and reshaped. Lets just hope his plow is not yet that bad and just a good cleaning and adjustment will take care of it. Never had my JD apart so do not know if they are made the same or not.

massey9556
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: massey ferguson three bottom plow tripping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok, I'll try to find a manual on line, and may take one of the bottoms apart to try to see how it all works, get it cleaned up, greased and put back together.

massey9556
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: massey ferguson three bottom plow tripping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's a pic of the plow. Maybe it's a model 66? Cat 1. No name plate on it anywhere. I'll order a manual if I can identify it. That hole I'm pointing at goes all the way through. Like maybe for a shear bolt. But the bolt would be so small I can't imagine it being used for that. What do y'all think? It's about 1/4 inch hole, maybe 3/16

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: massey ferguson three bottom plow tripping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is probably a lube hole to squirt a lite oil like kerosine in to keep things washed out and lubed up. My plow had both 5/16" and 3/8" shear bolts put in by previous owner instead of welding up the broken top of shank. A good lube for that after you get it working would be PB Blaster. A motor oil would just gather too much dirt. I did not know what PB Blaster when I had my plow now gone for 15 years. I found out after I had it and went looking for parts it had the deep tillage bottoms on that was very hard to get parts for and did not work as good as a regular bottom would have for me. I did not want to plow as deep as they wanted.

flying belgian
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: massey ferguson three bottom plow tripping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe you are just going to deep. That looks like a 14" plow. Rule of thumb, go half as deep as your plow width so for your 14" bottom you should go about 7"deep. How deep are you going?

massey9556
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: massey ferguson three bottom plow tripping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I see what you're saying but it trips with the lightest contact w the ground.

massey9556
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: massey ferguson three bottom plow tripping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Alright. Appreciate the tip on the pb. I use it on every nut and bolt I touch as all my stuff is older

grayrider
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: massey ferguson three bottom plow tripping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My old Dearborn plows use a shear bolt to keep them from tripping, I like a grade 8 bolt for that application. That?s what your hole is for too.....

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: massey ferguson three bottom plow tripping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Stick a bolt in the hole and see if it works ?

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: massey ferguson three bottom plow tripping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

her said 1/4" max on hole and more like 3/16" and that is not big enough for a shear pin, only big enough for a squirt can spout. And trip plows do not have a bolt hole in from factory.

carvel minne farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: massey ferguson three bottom plow tripping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

now we need a pic of the tractor hooked to that plow massey Laughing

massey9556
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: massey ferguson three bottom plow tripping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ha, I did, but it was a super cheap bolt and it broke pretty quick. Maybe a grade 8 from the tsc will hold it.

massey9556
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: massey ferguson three bottom plow tripping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

10/4. I'll get that up today hopefully

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters