Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

8N Front hydraulic pump shaft

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colo Cowboy
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: 8N Front hydraulic pump shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The front hydraulic pump drive shaft has broken in half inside the front axles. I?ve taken the adapter off the pump shaft, along with the front half of the drive shaft. The rear half of the drive shaft is attached to a hub with 4 pins that fit into the drive shaft pulley. There?s not enough room to get the broken drive shaft and the hub out. Is there a way to take the hub off of the end of the drive shaft? Otherwise it looks like I?ll have to break the tractor in two, remove the front axles to get the broken drive shaft out and install a new one. If this is the case, is there a how-to showing the steps to do this? Boy, do I need some help!
The photos below show the broken end of the shaft and the pins that go into the crank shaft pulley - as well as I could get them.

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Front hydraulic pump shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Colo Cowboy wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:57:16 04/15/1Cool The front hydraulic pump drive shaft has broken in half inside the front axles. I?ve taken the adapter off the pump shaft, along with the front half of the drive shaft. The rear half of the drive shaft is attached to a hub with 4 pins that fit into the drive shaft pulley. There?s not enough room to get the broken drive shaft and the hub out. Is there a way to take the hub off of the end of the drive shaft? Otherwise it looks like I?ll have to break the tractor in two, remove the front axles to get the broken drive shaft out and install a new one. If this is the case, is there a how-to showing the steps to do this? Boy, do I need some help!
The photos below show the broken end of the shaft and the pins that go into the crank shaft pulley - as well as I could get them.

The shaft is a left hand thread into the hub. My advice - replace everything with the splined hub, shaft, and crankshaft pulley.

TOH

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Front hydraulic pump shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Whut TOH said....

http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?t=658881&highlight=splined

Colo Cowboy
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Front hydraulic pump shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, TOH! I had read both of the links you posted, but didn?t know if my hub was splined or left thread. I?ll try to get the hub unscrewed
from the broken shaft if I can get a pipe wrench on the shaft. Otherwise does the front end have to come off to get that bugger out, or is there a
not-so-obvious trick to getting it out?

Hepcat66
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Front hydraulic pump shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

(quoted from post at 06:05:20 04/16/1Cool Thanks, TOH! I had read both of the links you posted, but didn?t know if my hub was splined or left thread. I?ll try to get the hub unscrewed
from the broken shaft if I can get a pipe wrench on the shaft. Otherwise does the front end have to come off to get that bugger out, or is there a
not-so-obvious trick to getting it out?

I had a similar problem when removing the 702 loader from my 8N a couple of months ago. The front pto was a mass of rust so I had to cut the shaft with a 7" cutoff wheel in the angle grinder. At that point I was in the same situation as you are. I ended up removing the hood and radiator, and cutting off the remaining shaft next to the hub on the pulley. The hub was held on to the pulley with 4 1/4-28 socket head screws. Thankfully, none broke when removing them.

Colo Cowboy
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Front hydraulic pump shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, Hepcat! I?ll give that a shot. It beats having to take off the front end of the tractor!

Colo Cowboy
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Front hydraulic pump shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TOH - I got the shaft and hub out - thanks to Hepcat. Now I need to find replacements. The hub has 4 pins that go into the crank shaft pulley. What is the process of replacing that hub with a splined hub? Do I have to replace the crank shaft pulley, or will the splined hub bolt to the stock crank shaft pulley that has the four holes in it for the other hub adapter? Sorry if my questions seem rather elementary, but this is new ground for this buckaroo!

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Front hydraulic pump shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Colo Cowboy wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:31:07 04/23/1Cool TOH - I got the shaft and hub out - thanks to Hepcat. Now I need to find replacements. The hub has 4 pins that go into the crank shaft pulley. What is the process of replacing that hub with a splined hub? Do I have to replace the crank shaft pulley, or will the splined hub bolt to the stock crank shaft pulley that has the four holes in it for the other hub adapter? Sorry if my questions seem rather elementary, but this is new ground for this buckaroo!

For the splined shaft and hub you need to use a different pulley - p/n 192160.

Toh

Colo Cowboy
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Front hydraulic pump shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TOH - What about a source for a 93/8? left had thread shaft??

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Front hydraulic pump shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

(quoted from post at 19:58:05 04/23/1Cool TOH - What about a source for a 93/8? left had thread shaft??

That is 4" shorter than the one listed here:

Left Hand Thread Pump Shaft - p/n 190760

If you really want to stay with that funky pinned drive I'd simply cut it down. At one point I had one laying around - I'll look see if I can find it. Not sure but I may have sold/given it to someone....

TOH

Colo Cowboy
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Front hydraulic pump shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TOH - If you have one I?ll sure guy it off of you. If not, I?ll have to adapt one, since replacing the front crank shaft pulley is not an option, due
to limited space to fit a puller, and the bolt is all buggered. If I have to adapt a crank shaft, I?ll either need to get a threaded one and have it cut
down, or buy a.splined one and have the splines cut off and the end threaded. Which would be preferable? I sure do appreciate your help with
this!!

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Front hydraulic pump shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

(quoted from post at 12:17:57 04/24/1Cool TOH - If you have one I?ll sure guy it off of you. If not, I?ll have to adapt one, since replacing the front crank shaft pulley is not an option, due
to limited space to fit a puller, and the bolt is all buggered. If I have to adapt a crank shaft, I?ll either need to get a threaded one and have it cut
down, or buy a.splined one and have the splines cut off and the end threaded. Which would be preferable? I sure do appreciate your help with
this!!

If it were me I would bite the bullet now and replace everything with the splined shaft, hub and pulley. I'm headed tot he shop now and I'll have a look around to see if that shaft is hiding somewhere.

TOH

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Front hydraulic pump shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

(quoted from post at 12:17:57 04/24/1Cool TOH - If you have one I?ll sure guy it off of you. If not, I?ll have to adapt one, since replacing the front crank shaft pulley is not an option, due
this!!

I do have the shaft - 13" OAL. I can cut it down and rekey it if you want. Give me a call or drop me an email if interested.

TOH

Mobil: 301.655.0631 (EDT)
Email: oldhokie@windyridgefarm.us

Colo Cowboy
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Front hydraulic pump shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TOH
DEFINITELY interested. Please cut it down to 9 3/8 and re-key the tractor end. Let me know what I owe you and an address to send the
check!
Thanks for your help!
Kip
303-949-5493

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Front hydraulic pump shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

(quoted from post at 20:23:23 04/24/1Cool TOH
DEFINITELY interested. Please cut it down to 9 3/8 and re-key the tractor end. Let me know what I owe you and an address to send the
check!
Thanks for your help!
Kip
303-949-5493

Check your email.

TOH

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters