Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Head bolt replacment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FarmerBlair
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Head bolt replacment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi, I have an 861 gas with the head currently off for valve work. Do I need to replace the head bolts with new ones for reassembly? I heard they can stretch or snap, and is best to use new ones. New Holland prices them at $24 each! I have not found another source for the head bolts so if someone knows of another source, if I were to need them, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

ErnieD
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Head bolt replacment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have always reused the head bolts on the 172; 2x on one engine. Chase with a tap,
lightly oil. Take up in 2 stages. Retorque after you run and check valve clearance.

Mike Groom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Head bolt replacment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I always reuse the head bolts,I think the newer engines with the stretch type bolts always use new ones,I have rebuilt dozens of older auto and tractor engines
and have always used the old head bolts,just chase the threads and lightly oil.

William Fissell
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Head bolt replacment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

agree with the others.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Head bolt replacment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You're not building an Indy engine.

Just about everyone reuses the head and even rod bolts.

Dean

FarmerBlair
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Head bolt replacment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks all for the info.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters