Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Removing a Badly Rusted Hydraulic Lift Draft Control Sprinpa

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FarmerHR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Removing a Badly Rusted Hydraulic Lift Draft Control Sprinpa Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am working on a NAA that spent its last 10 years spreading salt on a church parking lot using a disk spreader. I got salted each time the parking lot did. Needless to say the back end was pretty rusted up. It is cleaning better than I expected.
I would like to take the hydraulic lift draft control spring and associated parts off the tractor so I can clean them up and paint them.
My question is there a way I can take the spring off and not damage something ? The control spring seems to be pretty well stuck. I am afraid to push or pull to hard on the control spring yoke because I do not want to damage the hydraulic lift draft control link assembly under cover.
Any thoughts on how I can get these parts apart without damaging something. ?
Thank you for any help you can give me.

Dollar Bill
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing a Badly Rusted Hydraulic Lift Draft Control Spr Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the lift works now and painting is your only intent, I would prep and paint in place.

The components inside the top cover aren't too stout and bend quite easily if you start reefing on the draft plunger.

The accepted method of removing the yoke involves heating and penetrating oil and a lot of patience. A lift overhaul and alignment would be prudent should you go forward with disassembly.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Removing a Badly Rusted Hydraulic Lift Draft Control Spr Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As Dollar Bill said it will most likely get into a bigger job than you want. It should turn freely. If it will you can turn it to clean the bottom half. Either way you should try to protect the stamped metal plate and felt washer that keep water and dust out. I would give it a couple applications of penetrating oil over 4 hours. Then some lubricating oil.

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Removing a Badly Rusted Hydraulic Lift Draft Control Spr Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Quote:
The control spring seems to be pretty well stuck. I am afraid to push or pull to hard on the control spring yoke because I do not want to damage the hydraulic lift draft control link assembly under cover.

You don't pull or push on the yoke, you turn it. It threads onto the shaft that goes through the spring to the linkage inside the top cover. Penetrating oil should help loosen it up. If repeated applications of penetrating oil over several days does not free it up then you can try heating the yoke with a torch. If that doesn't do it then I would leave it as the others have said.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Removing a Badly Rusted Hydraulic Lift Draft Control Spr Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You will almost certainly need to heat the yoke cherry red with a torch to remove it without damage to internal components.

You cannot apply much torque to the yoke without damaging internal components.

If you do remove it, apply lots of anti seize upon reassembly.

Dean

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Removing a Badly Rusted Hydraulic Lift Draft Control Spr Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All good advice above & I will add that only a small (~1/8") pin and the draft link inside are there to take whatever torque that you apply in trying to un-screw the yoke, so don't apply much or damage will result. Very fine threads rust & freeze up even without the salt, so I would expect heat to cherry red & cool multiple cycles may be necessary. Don't try to turn it while hot.

FarmerHR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing a Badly Rusted Hydraulic Lift Draft Control Spr Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you for all your great suggestions. I will be trying them. I goofed when I wrote push and pull on the yoke. I should have said try to turn in both directions. I will try to let you know it all turns out. Probably going to take a while.
Thanks Again

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters