Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Briggs & Stratton 18 HP TWINII I/C

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pvolk
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Briggs & Stratton 18 HP TWINII I/C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm having an issue with my lawn tractor, B&S 18 HP Twin II, it currently will not start and run. I can pull the plugs and it will fire with starter fluid in the cylinders, but not stay running.

It supposedly just had the fuel pump replaced, but it appears to be a carb or fuel pump problem again. Am I on the right track?
Ideas to check next?

Thanks in advance.

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Briggs & Stratton 18 HP TWINII I/C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It has to be fuel related. Probably no more than a stuck needle valve. Pull the line off at the carb,crank it over and see if you have fuel.

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Briggs & Stratton 18 HP TWINII I/C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Give Guido a ding. It may be your intake manifold/carb. Is the intake manifold plastic? If so, Guido can help. Did me, fixed me right up along with NGK
plugs and using premium gas. Archives herein, or just www the subject. If it was ever posted on the internet, it's still there.

T.R.K.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Briggs & Stratton 18 HP TWINII I/C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those have a lot of fuel problems. If it was in my shop, I would probably clean the main jet-Accessable through the plug low on the side of
the carburetor. Remove the plug, the jet is about 3/8" behind it. I usually try to clean it in place, some are no longer available and I
can't tell you which ones for which carburetors. (Also some of those carburetors are NLA as well.)
Usually if the fuel pump is working, clean the main jet gets it to at least start. sometimes if it still runs poorly, you have to remove the
top and clean the jets that you see there. Some versions also have a jet near the base, others have an idle mixture screw in that same area.

pvolk
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Briggs & Stratton 18 HP TWINII I/C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Guys- I pulled the cover off the carb and clean the jets with carb cleaner. It now runs however now I have a different problem, it is now smoking bad. Did I screw something up?

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Briggs & Stratton 18 HP TWINII I/C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Possibly the cleaner cleaned out a bunch of built up carbon and old oil. I wouldn't worry about it.

If you www the word "decarb" you will see that when cleaning out an engine with SeaFoam (brand engine cleaning product how to use tutorial) you will get a lot of smoke till the crud all gets loosened up and burned out. 2 cycle outboard engines with loop charging where the 2 per cylinder, wedge shaped rings have to move to seal off the combustion, the decarb process is priceless.

The info includes the caution that you shouldn't do this in your driveway as your neighbors won't appreciate being "smoked out".

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters