Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Allis C Magneto With NO Spark

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bisenberger
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Allis C Magneto With NO Spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is the best way to test the condensor on a Fairbanks Morse magneto on an Allis Chalmer C?

What is the best way to test the coil on a Fairbanks Morse magneto on an Allis Chalmer C?

What other test would be appropriate?

Ted in NE-OH
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis C Magneto With NO Spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First thing to do is drag a piece of rough paper through the points, that fixed a lot of them, and is a common cause of no spark.

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis C Magneto With NO Spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a coil and condenser tester to check them. Also have a just like new mag on the shelf if you need it. I am in mid Mn. Where are you?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Allis C Magneto With NO Spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As on anything with points you stand a 90% chance the points are the problem when you do not have spark. Condensers do not go bad out of the clear blue and coils while they do go bad most of the time you can see oddity's in them when they go bad

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Allis C Magneto With NO Spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have a black tape covered coil it could be the problem. If it is a red plastic coil it most likely is good. I just changed out a black taped one with a red one myself. As stated points get a coating on the pads that keep them grounding out to spark.

tractorguy2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis C Magneto With NO Spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You need to start by cleaning the points. If the condenser is bad. You will have fire at the points but not through the coil. Fairbanks magneto seen to have more bad coils than other brands.

There is a guy on ebay selling FM coils for Mercury outboard motors. They are much cheaper. I have used three of them with no trouble.

bisenberger
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis C Magneto With NO Spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

bisenberger wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:15:50 06/09/18) What is the best way to test the condensor on a Fairbanks Morse magneto on an Allis Chalmer C?

What is the best way to test the coil on a Fairbanks Morse magneto on an Allis Chalmer C?

What other test would be appropriate?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Turns out the condenser was bad. I replaced it, now I have spark and my tractor runs as sweet as a 73 year old can

chaskaduo
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis C Magneto With NO Spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could you elaborate more on the FM coils for Mercury outboard motors.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters