Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Mig wire

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
M-MAN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Mig wire Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Haven't had a lot of mig experience like a lot of you fellers so I was wondering if wire brand makes a difference? My old one let the smoke out so I picked up a Hobart 190 to play with. Mostly I will be using 23 wire with an argon mix but I want to play with the 30 flux core just to see what it will do on thinner metal.

I have an old Idealarc 250 stick that welds sweet for the heavier stuff. I prefer stick but for some things the mig comes in handy.

Bill in IL
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Mig wire Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I dont buy a roll of wire but every 3 years but the last one of .023 i got from tractor supply and it must have need undersized. I seemed to have to turn up the wire speed more than normal. At least its sold by the pound. Blue demon seems to me a good enough brand for what i do.

That flux core works real well if you need to stick some galvanized together or other dirty steel. That has been the only time I have used it.

Den N Ms
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Mig wire Reply to specific post Reply with quote

M-MAN,If you all ready have .023 wire and 75/25 argon mix gas that is the best setup for thin or thick steel.You just need heaver wire .030 for thicker steel. .You don't want flux cored wire so if I were you don't even waste money on flux core wire as it don't weld near as good as argon mix .

da.bees
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Mig wire Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I understood the question to be if there's a difference between wire. Some will say no and they buy wire and tools from Harbor Freight. Others will say yes and they buy wire and tools from Northern Tool. I say you get what you pay for.

DoubleO7
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mig wire Reply to specific post Reply with quote

wire quality can and does vary from brand to brand.
Especially the made in china no name stuff versus the made any where else name brand stuff.

A really good use for fluxcore is for what needs to be welded right now, outside the shop on a breezy day.

gmcdeadhead
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Mig wire Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i buy Lincoln wire , i personally like it , i have tried others , i use the flux core wire on one machine and the argon mix on another machine , but its Lincoln for me.

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Mig wire Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm learning too. I have a HF 151 240v and learned that .030 solid core works better than .035, even on thicker material with gas. Use the cheap TSC mix. Haven't tried .023. I started with a 115v TSC Farmhand 75 with flux wire and it's sloppy.....lots of hit and miss. The gas on thin metal just makes for a smooth job for me, nice smooth interfaces, smooth surfaces, little to no splattering, minimum slag.

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Mig wire Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I worked in the R&D lab at Lincoln for several years and tested tons of MIG wire. There are a lot of variables. Some feed very poorly which affects arc stability. Some do not have any surface lubricant. Some use a coating that doubles as a lube and arc stabilizer. Find one you like and stick with it.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Mig wire Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is a lot of difference in wires. Buy good stuff from a good welding supply store. I made the mistake of buying from an auto parts store last time and I'm not sure that roll will make it til it's gone. I buy Lincoln if I can.

RobCons
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mig wire Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm a Lincoln man. Like their machines and wire. Keep 30 on both machines, one loaded with flux core and the other straight wire. I use 75/25 gas.

Oliver 500 Wa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Mig wire Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The house brand solid wire from the Airgas welding store is labeled Radnor and made in China. Welds exactly the same as Chinese wire from ebay that costs less than half the price.

jniolon
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Mig wire Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-M-MAN wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:58:33 07/06/1Cool Haven't had a lot of mig experience like a lot of you fellers so I was wondering if wire brand makes a difference? My old one let the smoke out so I picked up a Hobart 190 to play with. Mostly I will be using 23 wire with an argon mix but I want to play with the 30 flux core just to see what it will do on thinner metal.

I have an old Idealarc 250 stick that welds sweet for the heavier stuff. I prefer stick but for some things the mig comes in handy.

one thing I'll recommend...ESAB Automation 130PS43 Spoolarc Easy Grind MIG Wire; 0.023 .. (google that phrase) it's made by ESAB and does indeed grind easier than regular mig wire... I keep .023 in my little Hobart Handler machine and .030 in my Millermatic 200... if your doing light panel work that needs finish grinding I recommend it... it also resists cracking when doing hammer work after the weld.'

john

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Mig wire Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you think you are going to need some wire or rod,get it bought,price went up again this week plus the tariff surcharge. (we are at $24.00 a ticket right now.)

Mutt and Jeff
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Mig wire polarity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All the talk of mig flux core wire welder gas no gas and no one, not a soul reflects on the polarity requirements between the different wire feed process'

FCAW
and
GMAW

require 2 different polarities and require the big electrical connections inside the machine be switched

M-MAN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Mig wire Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments guys. I appreciate it. The old mig didn't really have the ump for flux core so I never tried it. That's what I want to experiment with mainly. Just to see how it does and if it's acceptable performance wise.

Yes I know the polarity needs to be switched and Hobart made it pretty easy on this machine. (Course it would be nice if it had a switch like the old Idealarc). That welder is what got me to thinking about wire quality and performance on the mig. The difference between welding with a good buzz box and that old Idealarc is like night and day.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters