Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

LED lights for Enclourses

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wsmm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: LED lights for Enclourses Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Has anyone found LED lights for use in total enclourses. I want to replace some of my ceiling lights with LEDS, they are currecntly those sprial flourscents. All of the LEDS I've loked at state not for enclosed enclosures.

Ted in NE-OH
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lights for Enclourses Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have used LED's in enclosed fixtures with no problems. They produce very little heat.

M-MAN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lights for Enclourses Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use the El cheapos from Lowe's. 5 are enclosed and have been working fine for a few years.

pete black
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lights for Enclourses Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is the electronics in the fixture that produces the heat of which they are sensitive to. The light itself produces no heat.

Skyhighballoon(MO)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lights for Enclourses Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are you talking about typical ceiling can lights? I put over 60 ceiling cans in my house when I built it and put in flush mount LED snap in lights. They have an adapter wire from the light to the screw in socket. You can get ones to retrofit older can fixtures in a few different diameters at the big box home improvement stores. If you were looking to just put up typical "flood" style LED bulbs into those cans, yes almost alll of them say not for enclosed fixtures but that is meant for outdoor style flood light (typically twin) fixtures. I actually do have full metal enclosures on my outdoor floodlights on the house and still run halogen incandescent bulbs in them.

M-MAN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lights for Enclourses Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Forgot but the ones I have enclosed are 60 wat equivalent. They do not get hot.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lights for Enclourses Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"they are currecntly those sprial flourscents"

If those @#%&# coiled mercury-emitting things can "live" there, LED's which use/waste less power thereby making less heat) will do just fine.

Mule Meat
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lights for Enclourses Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Use them when replacing blubs at apartment complexes in light fixtures that have globes all of the time. Have not heard of any problems yet.

We even use them outdoors in enclosed entery "porch" light fixtures with no problems.

I would not use regular LED bulbs in motion detector or flood light fixtures outdoors tho.

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: LED lights for Enclourses Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know what you mean by enclosure but a lamp for example, that is rated for a 60 watt incandescent because 60w (dissipated) will not overheat the enclosure is a joke when rating a 60watt equivalent LED....... WW Great Value 60watt equivalent.....box says actual power dissipated 9 watts. Also, unlike fluorescent, besides running on half or less of the power, no dimming in cold weather. Now that they are getting economical to purchase, I am upgrading everything I have including the yard light.......you know the old standard 175w Merc Vapor thing.

M-MAN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: LED lights for Enclourses Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use them in motion detector lights as
well. They hold up fine.

JGayman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: LED lights for Enclourses Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most of the 60W and 100W LED bulbs that I've purchased have that language on the package. I've still used them in enclosed ceiling and lamp fixtures and in 3 years have not had one failure despite using what some would consider discount bulbs.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters