Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

SOS input shaft change info

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bern
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: SOS input shaft change info Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In regards to a discussion a few days ago about SOS input shafts, I was at my local dealer yesterday so I snapped a picture of the relevant service bulletin that notes the change to the shaft splines in late 1968. The part at the very end stuck out to me the most: "Stocks of existing parts are to be scrapped as soon as new parts are available in sufficient supply". Oh, to have that "scrap" laying around now, huh? It would be a gold mine to anyone who had their hands on that pile!

Also, it would appear that Ford stopped supporting the 2-speed PTO option with the change, I'm guessing because of low demand. You don't see a lot of 2-speed PTOs out there.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: SOS input shaft change info Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good information, Bern.

Thanks for posting.

Dean

Zeke Boniface
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: SOS input shaft change info Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So Ford used a fine spline for the first five years, a fine spline with a spring cushioned disc for four more, then went with the coarse spline with solid disc for the rest of the run. Ford expunged the 2000-3000-4000 fine spline parts from the books, and from the world, insofar as possible.

What was happening with the 5000-6000 shafts and discs from '65 thru '68?

Great post! I got to look up the meaning of "fretting corrosion"! And, better yet, I got to daydream about treasure troves of fine spline parts that escaped the jaws of the scrapper.

Zeke B.

Bern
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: SOS input shaft change info Reply to specific post Reply with quote

According to the parts book, the 5000 used the same fine spline shaft all the way to the end of its production run in 1975. Why Ford thought that this was good enough for the higher HP 5000, and yet not good enough for the smaller tractors, frankly escapes me.

RickB
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: SOS input shaft change info Reply to specific post Reply with quote

At least it worked once. I know of a 16,000 hour 5000 SOS that has never been split, nor has it ever had the oilpan off.

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: SOS input shaft change info Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So my '73 4000 S-O-S has the coarse splines. Good to know.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters