Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Allis-Chalmers Model G

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis-Chalmers Model G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken, Dick, you have to do it that way because the bottom end of the rods is larger than the bore.

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Allis-Chalmers Model G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are correct! The rod will not go thru the cylinder bore because of the pistons small diameter. The point of the post was that the rings can be put back in from the bottom but much easier to remove the head and install the rings on top. If the only cause of the low compression was over heating because of low water you can replace the rings from the bottom.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis-Chalmers Model G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am not a AC guy but I am familiar with the AC "G" tractors. That one is kind of rare with it being set out for two row with the extra front end spacers. Then the two row planter is rare too. IF that was any where close to the Mid west it would have been sold in under a day at that price. So maybe in your area it is not worth much but I will say if you do not take it let us know. I just might drive out there and try to buy it.

nashranch
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis-Chalmers Model G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-JD Seller wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:44:20 08/07/1Cool I am not a AC guy but I am familiar with the AC "G" tractors. That one is kind of rare with it being set out for two row with the extra front end spacers. Then the two row planter is rare too. IF that was any where close to the Mid west it would have been sold in under a day at that price. So maybe in your area it is not worth much but I will say if you do not take it let us know. I just might drive out there and try to buy it.

It's a done deal JD Seller...gonna pick it up tomorrow
if all goes as planned. Save your gas money

jm.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis-Chalmers Model G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I to am like JD SELLER that tractor is rare. The planter set up and being spread to two rows makes it priced right for me. Wish it was closer to Tennessee. I want to find one and repower it with a KUBOTA diesel engine.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Allis-Chalmers Model G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hanover County VA just North of Richmond used to be a big vegetable growing area there were multiple G tractors on about every farm, some set up really wide to plant and cultivate
things like salad greens.One fellow I knew had about 20 G's.Can't tell from the picture but the really wide ones had an extension about 6" long on the end of the original axles.Still run across a lot of them here.

nashranch
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis-Chalmers Model G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

She's a bit cleaner now.... times a wasting... gotta get her running

jm.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis-Chalmers Model G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

O K TF you have a task, find me one with blown up or non running engine, hydraulics would be nice but not a deal killer. Price according to tires, send me an e mail when you get it. Been wanting to come West Virginia or where ever and meet you so here is my chance.

nashranch
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis-Chalmers Model G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Finally found the serial number of this newly purchased Model G. I guess it's a 1948. Am I correct?

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Allis-Chalmers Model G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll look around I'm in Central VA BTW.There was a guy in Luray VA that had a group of G tractors a long with more AC stuff he sold at auction a few years back he had a couple neat ones and they went pretty cheap $1500-$2500 redone and running.Original hydraulics are pretty rare on a G.

jm.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis-Chalmers Model G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yea I have seen a few with hydraulics but that would not be a deal killer, Since I am going with Kubota motor would have the pump and think I could rig the valve and cylinder. Just keep your eyes out, might want to come up that way if you find a bargain.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Allis-Chalmers Model G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A good conversion would be a lift system like is on my Hines H-1600 Cat 0 3pt on both center and rear lifts with a separate control for both.A Hines would be very easy to make a diesel conversion as
its a hydrastat drive.

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis-Chalmers Model G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Congratulations, I envy you. Don't think I'll ever find one, there were few in my area. For some reason, I do have a G plow, can't even remember where I got it.

nashranch
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis-Chalmers Model G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

YTSupport wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:50:33 08/11/1Cool Congratulations, I envy you. Don't think I'll ever find one, there were few in my area. For some reason, I do have a G plow, can't even remember where I got it.

Does that plow mount on the back somehow? Mine has the manual lift arm and bracket to attach the cultivator frame. Wonder if the plow attaches to that.

This is sure a sweet running machine once I got the carb and the gas tank cleaned out. Transmission and clutch work. The brake linkage and maybe the linings are really sluggish so I guess I take that apart.

Overall a good deal at 1500 with the cultivator stuff and the seeder pots

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis-Chalmers Model G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've never seen it mounted but I assumed it's belly mount. I'll take some photos when the sun is back out tomorrow and maybe someone can identify how and even if. I would imagine I took the word of the fellow I got it from because I would not have known. I never followed Gs much even though I'd like to have one.

Yes, then you did get a good price. Those rear tires look pretty good. I sure would have paid that or more if local here. It looks like they would be much easier to work on than any other AC.

I had an N62 on an MH Pony we used for cultivating and grinding (pig feed), the engine was tired and it was still a trooper.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters