Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Pole (Horse) Barn starting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JML755
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Pole (Horse) Barn starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, I finally got my pole barn started so I can bring our horse out here to the retirement place and get rid of the boarding fees.
Sited the barn about 90 ft from the future home and that meant clearing a LOT of trees/brush. The grapple I just bought has come in REAL handy. Don't have to buck most of the trees, just cart them off to a pile.

Barn will be 36x72, with (6) 12x12 stalls, office, tack room, workshop, indoor wash stall. Here it is all staked out.

Used my backhoe to pull stumps and loosen the root mat and topsoil down to sand (about 18"). Took about a day to loosen everything up. Took a while on some of the stumps. Amazing how big of a stump/root system an 8" tree can have. And trying to pull one out in one try will lift the front end of the BH (18000 #) right off the ground. But it's pretty satisfying when you've got it all dug around and then finally can grab it and rip it out. The BH has come in real handy over the years. It's worn and tired and I wouldn't want to try and make a living with it, but it's still got a lot of power. Paid for itself first year I had it by putting in my own driveway.

Yesterday AM, started to strip the site. Used my NH TC45 to remove the topsoil/roots, pretty big pile you can see in the background. Was almost done yesterday afternoon when the skies opened up. Still have a few hours of work to get it completely clear. I'm going to fill in a base of about 3' of "crusher sand", the fines from concrete crushing. Then I can start setting the poles. Problem now is that the supplier is OUT of the crusher sand, hasn't run his crusher in a while. I told them I need 200-300 cu yds so I'll keep calling to check status. Was hoping to get the site filled this week to avoid it becoming a swimming hole but I've got plenty of other stuff to do. Spent the last couple of weeks cutting brush/trees to get to where I could stake it out. So it feels pretty good that I got it ready for fill in a couple of days.

BTW, the pole barn site is where I got my 3600 stuck when starting to clear it a couple of months ago. So it's doubly satisfying to get revenge of sorts on the site. You can see from this pic how thick the site was with brush before I started.

Over the years I've scoured the net to see how others have built their barns so I thought I'd just share how I'm doing my horse barn. Will still have to clear the surrounding area of deadfall and a few trees that will be difficult to cut once the barn is in. Just thought I'd mention it before people start yelling "trees too close to barn!". Laughing Plus, every tree I cut down has to be approved by my wife. She wants to keep the stand of birches at one end but one of them is leaning towards the barn and will eventually have to come down. She begrudgingly said ok to that one.

larry@stinescorner
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Pole (Horse) Barn starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

nice job!Best of luck and keep posting as you go please!

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Pole (Horse) Barn starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Somebody's been busy.

Looking good!

glennster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Pole (Horse) Barn starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

nice job!! those brush grapples are the berries!! i got one for my skid loader, wow, its better than pockets on a shirt!!

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Pole (Horse) Barn starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great Post!!! Really glad you showed us your work. Nice to see thing progressing. Have you made ditches to carry water away??? I asked because of you getting stuck there earlier. So will the site be dry enough for the shed/horses now??

Billy NY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Pole (Horse) Barn starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cool you could do it with your own equipment. Topsoil sure looks nice. Hopefully you were able to re-direct any water and or drain the site well.
Looks like a 555 ford backhoe, bet that came in handy. I just bought a C series with very low hours, 4x4, thing is powerful, big and heavy too.

Having done this kind of work 5 years full time, cool to see your photos.

JML755
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Pole (Horse) Barn starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-JD Seller wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:11:40 08/07/1Cool Great Post!!! Really glad you showed us your work. Nice to see thing progressing. Have you made ditches to carry water away??? I asked because of you getting stuck there earlier. So will the site be dry enough for the shed/horses now??

JD, there is a small drainage that ran along the tree side of the pole barn and fed the spot I got stuck. Never really carried flowing water, couple of inches maybe, but enough to create wet spots. I'm going to cut a ditch to a creek that's only about 50' away. This will also take the runoff from the new driveway leading to the barn.

The 3' of crusher sand will put the barn base at least 18" above the current grade. Once I have the base in, I'll reshoot the grades and determine what my final barn elevation will be. I'm figuring about 2' above the current grade for the barn floor once I get the concrete and stalls in.
I've been watching my site for about 15 yrs and have a pretty good feeling that 2' floor will be ok. I'm pretty close to the head of the creek so it's never overflowed and my 4 acre pond is attached to it by some small ditches so if it ever DID overflow, it would spill into my pond but usually it's my pond overflowing and spilling into the creek.

JML755
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Pole (Horse) Barn starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I bought the property (vacant land about 15 yrs ago), I got my pickup truck stuck a number of times. Told the wife we need a driveway. Got quotes, went and bought the backhoe, dug out 800'x16' driveway and brought in semi after semi of gravel. Spent about 4 grand for the material but saved a bunch doing it myself so the BH paid for itself.

It's a Ford 755.(late 70's, early 80's, I forget exact age) It's a brute and I've got it stuck numerous times. But I've always got it unstuck by raising it up on the outriggers and building ramps under the tires. (It's not a mudder.) I kind of wish I had a newer model with 4x4 like yours but I've learned its limitations and I baby it, trying not to break anything. It's amazing what that old iron is like. In fact, when I got the 3600 stuck, I tried my TC45 tractor and F150 p/u to pull it out and both failed, wouldn't even budge it. I got the backhoe running (after sitting idle for a year) and put about 60' of chain on it and pulled it out using the hoe bucket like pulling a hot knife through butter.

Yeah, the topsoil IS nice. I'm going to build a small screen station out of a chain link gate to get rid of the bigger roots as we use it. There's about 100 cu yds back there. I told the wife she's got topsoil for her gardens for life. Laughing

Billy NY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Pole (Horse) Barn starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I should have figured that out, 755 in your handle. They are big and heavy, but always seemed to have a good reputation. We sold the previous series new, lot of 5500's to the local power company. 2WD is fine, while FWD is nice in many conditions, they get just as stuck, I've been there many times back in the day, 2WD & FWD. I can remember getting stuck with a cat 416 4x4, ruts in soft ground. I could get the machine up, but it would slide back in LOL ! Eventually got it out.

They are quite powerful, must have been great to see the 3600 get pulled out with the hoe. I buried my 850 ford with a loader and nothing worked, but what did was the weather drying things up a bit and using a chain hoist rigged off the base of only a 4" black cherry tree. It pulled it up out of the hole and it was bottomed out Loader just could not do it that time, but did many times before.

I've been looking for a backhoe, but kept looking, saw a few decent ones, then this one came up and I hesitated 1 week. I decided for the money and the 793 hours it had on it, which are true, it was worth pursuing. Most have 5K and up. Every pin and bushing is tight, there is no doubt about the history. I'm the 3rd owner, previous owner had it for 20 years and kept it inside, and got it when it had a few hundred hours. I put half down and finance the other half, figure I'll pay it off early anyways, just wanted to keep that extra cash in the bank, given taxes due and other opportunities.

I looked at a few 2WD and could have easily settled for one, but I really lucked out on this one, glad I waited.

That soil sure is rich looking, bet anything you grow in it does well, I wonder what the PH of it is

JML755
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Pole (Horse) Barn starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Billy,
yeah you're right about 4wd getting stuck. Youtube is even full of videos of stuck crawlers, excavators, etc. If the ground is wet to where it won't hold up the weight of whatever is on it and you get buried to the frame/axles, you're done for no matter what and you aren't getting out under your own power. BTDT. Laughing I've learned to be very careful on wet ground.

Yeah, if I knew the 3600 was going to come out that easy I would have video taped it. I just pulled back on the crowd cylinder and it came right out without having to jockey it, maneuver around or reset any chains or anything. The operators manual says it has 11,000# of "Digging force", will lift 2700# at full extension of the boom and dipstick and bucket.

Sounds like your BH was a great find. Mine is pretty sloppy as far as the pins go. I thought about replacing bushings/pins to tighten it up but looking at the size/weight of the boom and dipstick, I decided "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". (I don't have a 5 or 10 ton crane to use when removing them).

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Pole (Horse) Barn starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JML755
My friend with 3 horses bought 10 acres with 1914 barn. After stabilizing the barn from falling
down, we spend last fall and winter clearing brush and trees. Some trees were 2 ft plus. Still
don't those stumps removed. Black cherry trees had to go. Still have a very large one on North
side of barn. Some of the trees were hanging over the barn. Those were a little exciting cutting
down. Getting them to fall away from barn. Had to use every trick you can think of not to crush
the barn.

In places where the tree roots were so bad we used T posts instead of wood posts. We came up with
to put T posts in ground using Loader.

Are you able to claim your horses as dependents? Friend thinks he should be able too, but his CPA
doesn't.

JML755
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Pole (Horse) Barn starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Geo-TH,In,
Laughing Wish I could claim "Monty" as a dependent. He's my wife's true love. A 2' diameter tree has to be scary to cut. If it starts to go in a different way then you want, there's little you can do about it once it starts to lean and it will shake the ground when it hits.

Yeah, I've used my loader as a t-post driver. Beats the heck out of pounding them in.

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Pole (Horse) Barn starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is a trick to setting T post with loader. Push the post a few inches, raise bucket to keep
post vertical. We used a 52 inch piece of plastic pipe next to post to tell when to stop pushing.

When we were clearing trees, all the trees were covered with grape vines or poison ivy vines.

No idea why, but all trees were bent over leaning southeast and the tops were all tied together
with vines. So you knew the direction they would fall. What you didn't was how many would fall.

I cut 11 smaller trees. They didn't fall until I cut the last 2 ft tree. I didn't notch the 2 ft
tree. Cut it on the back side. It made a loud snap when I was about halfway through and all 12
trees came down at once. Wish I had a video, it would have been a YOUtube sensation.

JML755
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Pole (Horse) Barn starting - update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just thought I'd post an update on my horsey pole barn. After my last post, I was looking at the pad site and noticed a lot of roots encroaching on the edge of the hole from the undisturbed surrounding topsoil so I cut it back 2' all the way around to discourage growth below the barn. The pink stakes in the pic are the barn footprint and the orange flags are the "fill" perimeter

Stopped in at the crusher guy on Monday and they said they were firing it up that day and probably would have material next day or two. Called me yesterday (Wednesday) early AM and said 2 trucks were loaded and headed my way. They're only about 20-30 minutes from me which is nice (saves on trucking costs).

Dropped 2 loads in the hole and said they'd be back in an 1.5 hrs with the next 2. I got busy and spread the first 2 and was just working it and compacting it when they showed up with the next 2. Having spread the first ones out before they got back meant they could drive onto the pad and spot the loads easier for me to spread. It packed real nice, their fully loaded trucks hardly put a dent in the surface.

They got me 2 more loads after that (total of 6 loads or 150 tons). They said it's about 20 cu yds per load of 25 ton so I got about 120 yds in the hole which brings me up pretty close to original grade. I had originally estimated about 150 yds to get me up to grade so I might be a little shy in spots.

I used my bucket to spread and rough grade the material compacting it as I went. Then I used my box blade to work it and give me a more even surface. The area to the left of this pic is where the apron and driveway will be dug out so that's why I didn't bring the material right up to the topsoil.

Haven't decided if I'm going to go up 12" or 18" from this point for my final grade (bottom of splash or skirt board). I'm pretty certain that 12" will keep water out of the barn and require about 4 or 5 more loads. 18" would require another 6 or 7 loads and I think might be unnecessary. Any thoughts from you guys on the skirt board height above surrounding grade?

Trucking company wanted to bring out another 2 loads yesterday afternoon as rain is headed our way today but I worked until 6:30 to get where I'm at now. Had to get home and cook the wife dinner (salmon and trout) Very Happy

I'm anxious to see what the site looks like after a day of rain. I'm thinking I'll get the last loads early next week. Meanwhile (if it dries out Friday or Saturday) I'll start digging out the apron/driveway. Should only take a day to pull stumps and dig up the root mat. Another day of piling up the topsoil and getting it ready for material. My plan is to put 12" of the crusher sand and 6" of 21A crushed concrete on top to replace the 18" or so I'll be removing. This will keep the driveway about at current grade and below the pole barn floor elevation. Apron is 24'x36' in front of the barn entrance and driveway will be 12'x120' which will connect it to the existing drive I put in about 13 yrs ago.

Oh, another thing. In the pic with the dump truck, you can see a nice maple in the background with a stake just to the right of it. That is currently the corner of the garage on the planned new house and I was going to take the tree down but the more time I spend underneath that tree during breaks I'm thinking of keeping it. Any opinion on how far I should move the house to the right or should I just bite the bullet and cut it down? It's not like I've got a tree shortage Laughing . A concern is that if I keep it, it will become a PITA to work around during construction and/or will get damaged during same. Thoughts?

WI Dan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Pole (Horse) Barn starting - update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

looks good so far! lot of work - thanks for your extra work to picture post on here. We like watching.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters