Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Buying a Twin City 28x48 Threshing Machine

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
manitobaprairies
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Buying a Twin City 28x48 Threshing Machine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have found myself of late wanting to purchase a threshing machine.
There is one a few miles away from me for sale right now, and while I haven't seen it in person yet, the pictures look like it might be promising.

It's a Twin City 28x48,S/N 18476
Anyone have a guess as to the year? Or access to a manual?
Or perhaps how much to offer?

Thanks

molinegb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Twin City 28x48 Threshing Machine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There was one at Crandall Mb. I got the TC tractor.

Howard H.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Twin City 28x48 Threshing Machine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pricing is ultimately what you value it at - relative to what the seller does...

I've seen way too many threshers go for almost nothing at auctions, etc, but there aren't nearly as many around now as several years ago when scrap prices got so high.

I feel bad about a sale back then - they had a nice old Minneapolis thresher that brought several hundred dollars to a scrapper. I traded him out of the serial tag, but had already bought several tractors at that sale and couldn't get that one, too.

I've seen a super nice, barn shedded one a while back bring $2,600. I think it was a Red River Special. It still had good wood, nice paint, and came with a flat belt or two.

Good luck on getting it!

Howard

moll
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Twin City 28x48 Threshing Machine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, there are less Twin City machines around here than other brands, so I would say if you have
the time to fix it, it would be a good investment. They sure are hard to store, and those that have been
kept outside are going to need the most rebuilding. Threshing machines used to go for 400 dollars when
I bought mine, and it was 1800, but it was in the shed and so far hasn't needed major work. Its just
like anything else, if you are handy and have the time it will be fun and rewarding.

manitobaprairies
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Twin City 28x48 Threshing Machine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's such a shame that so many threshers were sent to the scrap yard over the last decade.
We have a threshing show every year here in Austin, MB and it's so nice seeing so many threshers and steam tractors up and running.

I'm going to go take a look at this one in a day or two, and even though it looks like it might be missing some stuff from the pictures, I may still pick it up if the price is right.
It's strange, from the pictures it almost looks like a Red River Special on the front end, but the tags are there and the pulleys look like they match a TC, so we'll see when I get there.

Thanks!

Matthew

manitobaprairies
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Twin City 28x48 Threshing Machine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well currently he's asking $300-500,so even without belts I think that's perfectly reasonable.
As a bonus, it's only a few miles from home, so I can easily pull it home without a trailer if it's solid enough for a short drive, though I would probably still use a trailer just for safety.

moll
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Twin City 28x48 Threshing Machine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pulling them is okay, just need to go slow and grease the wheels good. When I take mine
to the show its 7 miles one way down the dirt roads, probably will just tractor road it
as iv'e done it before with the pickup, it can be a little hard on the transmission in
the summer. Otherwise, we have hauled some on the trailer with a winch.

moll
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Twin City 28x48 Threshing Machine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some manufactures like John Deere and McCormick Deering used hart-carter feeders and weighers, so they
look the same also, I can't say on the Twin City machines but that could be why they look similar.

fastfarmall
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Twin City 28x48 Threshing Machine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks good. Where is serial number located ?

manitobaprairies
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Twin City 28x48 Threshing Machine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've been told that it ran before, so it'll definitely be a bit of an oddity if that's true.
It's a shame this came up when it did. I would have had access to about 15 fully running threshing machines to compare to if it had been last week.

manitobaprairies
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Twin City 28x48 Threshing Machine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's what I figured. It's about 5 miles away, so I'll probably just hitch up to the tractor and take a nice leisurely stroll home. Hopefully it turns out!

manitobaprairies
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Twin City 28x48 Threshing Machine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm not too sure. Those are the only two pictures I've seen so far, but when I go look at it I'll let you know!

oleclint
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Twin City 28x48 Threshing Machine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does this T C thresher have straw walkers in it or a more popular straw rack? Just wondering. clint

manitobaprairies
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Twin City 28x48 Threshing Machine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've never been to Crandall. If I'm heading out west in the next while maybe I'll drive around a bit and see what's there.

molinegb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Twin City 28x48 Threshing Machine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Between Arrow River and Crandall. Elevator in between and go north 2 or 3 miles. 1/2 mile west. Guy had auction sale 3 or 4 years ago. I have some NOS cylinder teeth

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Minneapolis Moline All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters