Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

just a theory

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
larry@stinescorner
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: just a theory Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just my 02 cents..I was mowing the lawn.The young kids next door,,around 17, had a small pool party.They are good kids.I have watched them grow up,and they are very good kids.
One of there boyfriends parked his car in front of our house on the side of the street.His wheels were on our lawn ,not much,no big deal.
It was a brand new BMW,really nice car.
As I was cutting the back yard I was thinking,,he will see me mowing,and come over and move his beautiful car.
He saw me going back and fourth ,never came over.I was extra careful not to blow any grass on the car.
It was not a big deal,,a small little strip of grass was not mowed,and it doesnt grow much next to the blacktop anyway.
Im all done and all the kids came out.I see him go to his car,but he didnt move it,he went in thecar got something out of it ,and rode off in another car with friends.

He was a clean cut nice looking young man.

I started to think,,how could he not be afraid I would damage his beautiful car?

If I was his age,and I had a car like that I would run out there?

I started to think,,whats wrong with him?

Then it hit me.

Its not his fault.he probably never had to cut grass in his life.
Most of us in Talerville have cut grass since we were 11 or 12.We know what a mower can do,what
damages it can cause etc.
This young man,and the girls next door,never cut grass like all our girls and boys in Talerville
did,a landscaper comes and does it.

I thought to myself,I cant blame this young man,,its not really his fault.He probably didnt sweat
to earn the BMW or any car like most of us had too,He probably never cut grass like most of us
have.

It occured to me,lots of youngster arent bad kids,,they just grew up a lot different then we did?

Thats my 02 for today,,,lol

steve19438
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: just a theory Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my guess he did NOT pay for it.

Gtidwell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: just a theory Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My son knows about mowing. He does the mowing every time it needs it. I do the trimming with the weed eater. He gets out and works with me around the place all the time. Most kids really don't know how to work anymore.

larry@stinescorner
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: just a theory Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My point exactly,he is a Talerville kid! lol My daughter can and does mow anytime she is home.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: just a theory Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's a very wise way to look at the situation.

We can't change other people, all we can control is the way we respond!

Thanks Larry, that just made my day!

RobCons
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: just a theory Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Seems fairly common with kids now. I cut several yards for people while thier teenage and older kids sit inside. Most have a mower in the garage. Growing up different I dont understand it.

Little roy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: just a theory Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I was a youngster a neighbor who was in high school worked and scratched and finally was able to buy a good running, clean used car. A kid in the same class in school beat the heck out of cars and had a brand new car given to him buy his grandfather. You can imagine which one took the best care of his car and which one totaled his after about a month. And yes, one of them grew up working hard and one didn't.

larry@stinescorner
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: just a theory Reply to specific post Reply with quote

At 13 I had 5 lawns around to do,,ours,my grandmothers,and 3 other neighbors

544hydro
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: just a theory Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very good observation Larry. Can't blame the kids, you have to look at the parents.

grandpa Love
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: just a theory Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Now I feel bad making my boys work!! Wait....no I don't! Oh and I will not buy them a new car!! An old cub or Minnie mo........lol.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: just a theory Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I was 10 years old dad gave me the 21" push mower and gas and oil and I mowed an 1 acre yard. My daughter growing up used a garden tractor with 50"deck to mow our yard and my folks next door which was about 5 acres between the two yards. Today my daughters oldest son is 14 years old and has yet to mow yard and if I say anything I get a dirty look. At 14 years they should have chores to do and help out around house.

larry@stinescorner
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: just a theory Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If I had a young son,,I would like to send him for a summer to Loren in NY,or your family in Alabama or JD Seller in Iowa,or Richard G Or Old in Missouri,,or many others here on this great site.I would like to see him learn to work and learn skills.I would pay to send him to any one of the great people here on this site. During his summer vacation He would work and learn from some of the best!!

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: just a theory Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Go to the store and get some of those fake bullet hole decals and put all over his car ! LOL.

Billy Shafer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: just a theory Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My dad had rules for all of us kids.
You don't work.You don't eat.
You have chores do them.
You want a car. You earn it. Take care of it.
You turn 18. Have your bags packed or start paying rent.

Must have worked.
Two retired military.
Two served in the military.
One deputy sheriff.
One runs a animal clinic
One runs a feed store

coshoo
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: just a theory Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Then there's mean ol' me. Somebody had taken to parking in front of my office every day, which of course removed valuable parking space for my clients. So one morning when the grass was a little wet, I deposited a nice line of it along the full length of his car. It stuck very nicely. He decided to park elsewhere after that. Mission accomplished.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters