Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Widen rims

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WFE270NWIA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Widen rims Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Need to widen some rims for 15.5 X 38 tires. Would you go to 15 or 16 inches? Weld the bands on both the inside and the out side? Thinking of making the bands out of 12 ga. Anyone happen to know how the bands need to be for 38 inch rims? Thanks.

WFE270NWIA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Widen rims Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Last question should be how long do bands need to be for 38 inch rims. Thanks.

mmfan55
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Widen rims Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Spacer rings off duals work good

Gary Mitchell
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Widen rims Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They need to be 3.141 X the diameter at the point of the rim where you're splitting it. gm

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Widen rims Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What size rim do you have now? I have 15.5x 38 on 14' rims and that's what they recommend for 15.5x38 tires.

WFE270NWIA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Widen rims Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I haven't dug the rims out of the "junk pile" yet. They are drop center rims off a U MM so I would guess they are 11" or 12" wide. The 15.5 are on pressed steel rims, not sure how wide they are.

Dblair
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Widen rims Reply to specific post Reply with quote

most welded rims are banned at most pulls I've been to .

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Widen rims Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I go 16 unless there is a rule against. Conventional wisdom is when it is a little wider than the tire it holds the tire open a little wider.

WFE270NWIA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Widen rims Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No problem with that here.

mmfan55
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Widen rims Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Difference in attitude and mentally I guess. I don't remember being at any pull in the past 30 years that bans welded rims.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Widen rims Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can run into problems at the tire store though. I was getting tires changed on my Ford 9000 puller at the chain tire store one time and the wise-A** store manager walked by and asked the mechanic what was he doing working on welded rims? but kept on walking. One tire didn't want to seat and the mechanic took it to no more than 30 lbs and told me that I was on my own. That was OK. When I got home I dropped it to 5 lbs and drove it around a little and it popped in.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters