Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Flat Rate Time

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moonlite37
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:48 am    Post subject: Flat Rate Time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is the flat rate time to replace and adjust engine clutch on 986 with cab, air, TA ? TA seems to have over 3,000 hours and works perfectly. Should it also be replaced?

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Flat Rate Time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the Ta shifts fine and doesn't slip,leave it alone. Replaceing a TA isn't like replaceing a clutch.A 'TA job' is a serious ,major deal.Involves completely rempveing
and dismantleing) the center ('speed') transmission. It will cost many thousands of dollars in parts and labor.A Ta can often outlast 2-3 clutches.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Flat Rate Time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't know about a 986, but many, many years ago I worked at a John Deere dealership. Flat rate time to R&R the clutch on a 4020 was 6 hours. Add a cab with A/C and I will guess another 2 hours.

Moonlite37
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Flat Rate Time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks, I remember the Tractor Vet posting that if the clutch and TA not being adjusted together., the TA will not work right and will not work for very long. I am hoping the mechanic can replace the clutch in 10 hours. Is that unreasonable? I do want the shop to be properly paid, but also just wondering how much it may cost. I would only take to an honest shop that knows what they were doing. Yes I know of one or two near me

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Flat Rate Time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

86 series are harder to split because of the cab. I would say 10 to 15 hours. A mechanic who does one frequently can do it faster because they know the 'shortcuts'.

Duane Rushlo
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat Rate Time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

flat rate on 86 series is 21hr I have replaced many while at ih dealer. did enogh that I did it ih 18hr

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat Rate Time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

that is where your shop manual comes into play. definitly need one even the mechanic will ! plus not just clutch once apart there is more to it. highly dought it will be done in ten hrs. double that or more. go to the shop doing these tractors and get the quote from the horses mouth. lots of speculation on here. but you have some good advise too.

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Flat Rate Time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

well time wise of getting it apart and back together IF i am in the MOOD anymore 6-7 hours if i have a little help . Last one was on a 1086 , BUT there was also taking the flywheel out and getting it refaced and waiting on the IDPTO input and seals and stuff EXTRA . So there was a down time of four days as i do not STOCK this stuff anymore . And the guy that use to do my machine work is passed on . Back in those days i could get the flywheel done in and hour and half including drive time and i had the parts needed setting on the shelf . If i had to do the whole deal including the T/A three days in and out . So if your going after the clutch ya just as well install a NEW IDPTO shaft and bearing and a new rear main seal as your already there and the flywheel SHOULD be off out getting refaced and IF you have the special rear seal installer it only takes about fifteen min. once your there.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters