Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

47 g for pulling

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KNJL
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: 47 g for pulling Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am thinking about doing some modifications to my 47 g ( yes g not gm ) for pulling . If I put the unstyled head on should I use an m&w type aluminum piston or a jd gas piston ? Any advice on best compression ratio to aim for ?

JLG
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 47 g for pulling Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've never used a flathead so I may be wrong, but I would use the M&Ws and check it over carefully to make sure the valves dont hit. If they do the pistons will just need modified a little. I think the flat head with gas pistons makes the compression ratio about what m&w's on the stock head will.

I used the stock head and lengthened my connecting rods to make 10-1 compression. I also put in a re ground cam and an LP manifold. It made 58hp like that at 540 PTO rpm.

KNJL
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 47 g for pulling Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok maybe lengthening my rods would be a better option . Who did you have do the rods ? About how much does it cost ?

JLG
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 47 g for pulling Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well...we did mine ourselves but I wouldn't recommend that. We made a jig and got a special welding rod. Worked fine for me for 4 years until I sold it, but I was always a little worried about them. Theres a guy in Michigan named Josh Blackburn I'd call. Should be able to find his number searching the archives here or on Facebook. I dont have it unfortunately. Tell him what you want to do and he'll probably have some recommendations.

Dblair
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 47 g for pulling Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you can get it all from murphy's motor service . it's a one stop .

MSD
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 47 g for pulling Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What weight and Div classes do you want to run with it when done? Makes a lot of difference what needs to be done to pull just stock or Div. 4 or 5. Call Brian at 605-359-two zero four three and he can get you set up with most of what you need to do it right from stroked cranks, head porting, block boring, pistons, rods, carb work, and cam grinding. Just remember bigger is $$$$.

KNJL
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: 47 g for pulling Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks I think I will go that way

BushogPapa
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 47 g for pulling Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You could look over the "Extreme" site, Ray KNOWS his 2-Cylinders...

Ever hear of "John Deere "B" Puller"..?

Ray Castner is the name..

(Hope he has dried out from the Last Huricane and is ready for this current Himicane..!!!)...(NC).!!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters