Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

tea

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brian stanek
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: tea Reply to specific post Reply with quote

just purchased a tea fergusson. owner told me it had tranny problems fiquired it is stuck in second gear it starts pretty good etc. so on getting it home I took off shifter tower all rails seem to bee in place but worn. how ever it will not go into a neutral position? any ideas looks like I have to take trans cover off.

Charles in Aus.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: tea Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sometimes the rails get stuck in the bushes between the gearbox and rear casting , usually some force and lubricant will free them up .

There is a common problem with the selectors , they do get hung up if the gear stick is lifted when shifting , this is fairly easily remedied without removing the gear box cover .
So , Level spot
engine off
gear box filler cap off
look in with torch and see big gear
if stuck in reverse lever gear with a big screwdriver forwards
if in first lever backwards
if in second or third look for fork
if in second push fork forwards
if in third push it backwards
When in the right position you should feel the indent balls pop into position.
Use a piece of pvc pipe to protect the threads of the filler bung hole from the screwdriver as you lever .

brian stanek
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: tea Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Charles in Aus. wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:42:19 10/05/1Cool
Sometimes the rails get stuck in the bushes between the gearbox and rear casting , usually some force and lubricant will free them up .

There is a common problem with the selectors , they do get hung up if the gear stick is lifted when shifting , this is fairly easily remedied without removing the gear box cover .
So , Level spot
engine off
gear box filler cap off
look in with torch and see big gear
if stuck in reverse lever gear with a big screwdriver forwards
if in first lever backwards
if in second or third look for fork
if in second push fork forwards
if in third push it backwards
When in the right position you should feel the indent balls pop into position.
Use a piece of pvc pipe to protect the threads of the filler bung hole from the screwdriver as you lever .
so to me it looks like the 1-2 shifting fork is either broken or out of its proper position as that one only has the proper ft and aft movement but also has a flip flop from side to side and the other two do not?

Charles in Aus.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: tea Reply to specific post Reply with quote

View from top , as it should be .

A less time consuming way of removing the gear box cover .

brian stanek
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: tea Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Charles in Aus. wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:08:59 10/07/1Cool

View from top , as it should be .

A less time consuming way of removing the gear box cover .

yes that is exactly what I am looking at except the area where the shifter operates on the slots is much more worn than you pic. also thanks so much for the pics. it looks like I see detent springs on top of trans casting. also it lokks like with any luck the rails may come out without splitting the tractor? thanks again for the pics I now have an idea what to look for.

John Deere D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: tea Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've had a broken 2nd gear shifter fork on several pats Tractors..............

Bob...

Charles in Aus.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: tea Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Unfortunately to remove the rails you will need to split the casing . But by exposing them as in the photo you will be able to lubricate and forcibly move them and perhaps remedy the trouble .

Charles in Aus.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: tea Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some further that may help .

Shifter rail ends exposed

Indent ball housings

Charles in Aus.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: tea Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can't edit the above , I was partially incorrect and you may be able to remove the rail for the 2nd gear selector from the top , I think also the reverse and start can also be removed this way . From memory it is the 3/4 rail that will give difficulty.

Early selectors had a square headed retaining screw holding them firm , if this is the case with yours be wary as it is very easy to round off the head . Ferguson made a special spanner to help prevent this . later boxes had normal hex bolts to do the same job .

John Deere D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: tea Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For your info:

Bob. Owner Operator TEA-20 and other coloured tractors:

brian stanek
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: tea Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Charles in Aus. wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:21:20 10/08/1Cool
Can't edit the above , I was partially incorrect and you may be able to remove the rail for the 2nd gear selector from the top , I think also the reverse and start can also be removed this way . From memory it is the 3/4 rail that will give difficulty.

Early selectors had a square headed retaining screw holding them firm , if this is the case with yours be wary as it is very easy to round off the head . Ferguson made a special spanner to help prevent this . later boxes had normal hex bolts to do the same job .
so go a little more apart today. 1-2 fork is broken. tried removing the rail but must be something in rear case that will not let it move ahead. so as you say will have to split the case. who has these forks as I assume welding it is very iffy? thanks for all the wonderfull info it sure does help a lot.

Charles in Aus.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: tea Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Glad you found the problem Brian .
It depends where you are in the world , lots of parts available from wrecks here in Australia and many more in the UK . Canada seems to have its fair share of UK built TEA tractors so it might be worth looking there if you are in the US .

John Deere D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: tea Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Presently for sale on e-bay..........US $65.00

I have no connection with this item for sale.....

In 1975 I had to make this shifting fork....still operating perfectly:

TE 20...TEA-20...T0 20... T0 30 according to Parts Book are all the same part.

Bob. Owner of a FERGUSON TEA-20 and three parts TEA-20's

brian stanek
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: tea Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Charles in Aus. wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:06:11 10/09/1Cool
Glad you found the problem Brian .
It depends where you are in the world , lots of parts available from wrecks here in Australia and many more in the UK . Canada seems to have its fair share of UK built TEA tractors so it might be worth looking there if you are in the US .
yes I am in Canada so am doing some searching. thanks again

brian stanek
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: tea Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I may have to get this welded? see what I can source out.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters