Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Super 55 Tractor Split for Leaking Seals

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John P.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Super 55 Tractor Split for Leaking Seals Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My Super 55 got to the point where it is leaking gear lube so bad it has to be split. I've got the Oliver manual, the special socket for the PTO, and every single seal and gasket in the rear end ready to go. Since I've never had to get into it this deep, I was wondering how big a job I'm looking at and how long do you think I will need to tie up the garage. Reason I ask is winter's coming and Pam doesn't like to park out in the cold.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Super 55 Tractor Split for Leaking Seals Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Quicker and easier than you'd think. Drive some blocks between the axle and frame to keep it from tipping,then unbolt it where the blue tape is in the picture. The dash,steering and everything comes right with the front half so the only thing you have to unhook are the wires to the lights.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Super 55 Tractor Split for Leaking Seals Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And the axle braces,sorry.

John P.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Super 55 Tractor Split for Leaking Seals Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, you make it sound so easy!

John P.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Super 55 Tractor Split for Leaking Seals Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does the rear section get blocked and the front moved forward, or should the front get blocked and the rear moved?

J. Schwiebert
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Super 55 Tractor Split for Leaking Seals Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Make yourself some alignment pins as well and however you support the front half make sure you have some adjustment on the height as you will find that out when You slide it together. Also I hope you noticed that some of the seals are different if you have a 518 or a 519 code rear end. Also adjust the PTO clutch before you slide it together. My e-mail is open if you have more questions. J.

John P.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Super 55 Tractor Split for Leaking Seals Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, it's a 518.

super 55
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Super 55 Tractor Split for Leaking Seals Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have mine split right now also. You mentioned you have the special socket, are you talking about removing the Clutch Spider retaining nut? The flat nut with the four notches? Here's how I split mine. I put two hydraulic jacks under the frame just behind the rear edge of the front frame, I also backed those up with two 4X4 blocks cut to fit between the floor and the front frame. I then placed a rolling hydraulic jack under the front end of the rear frame. The front frame stays in one place, and the rear frame rolls back, so make sure you have enough clearance behind the tractor to pull the two frames apart. I suggest you take the clutch spider off, as weell as Retainer for the PTO clutch drive sleeve bearing and replace that seal, and the two O-rings between the retainer and the PTO drive gear. Take off the retainer on the rear of the tractor and pull the PTO drive shaft out and replace the O-ring inside the PTO hub. You may not have to do that, but later on if it starts leaking taking the shaft out and lining it back up may be hard. It's easy with the tractor split.

dabot
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Super 55 Tractor Split for Leaking Seals Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Remember there are two allen screws holding the clutch pack to the shaft. It will save you a lot of time. Don't ask how I know!

John P.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Super 55 Tractor Split for Leaking Seals Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Smile

John P.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Super 55 Tractor Split for Leaking Seals Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, hat will help. I just rolled it into the garage.

SPMN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Super 55 Tractor Split for Leaking Seals Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check this Ebay item out for the spanner nut wrench # 252331424749 ---I have
nothing to do with the listing, but have recommened it to several customers who
were happy with it

J. Schwiebert
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Super 55 Tractor Split for Leaking Seals Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Block the front and roll the rear> Look at the main clutch while you are there. Is this an early or late Super 55. Send me an e-mail? J>

super 55
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Super 55 Tractor Split for Leaking Seals Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Says this item is out of stock. I made one out of pipe, but you can also use a drift punch.

John P.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Super 55 Tractor Split for Leaking Seals Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought it back when you recommended it to me! Smile

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters