Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Super 55 Tractor Split for Leaking Seals

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John P.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Super 55 Tractor Split for Leaking Seals Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, it took me 4 or 5 hours to get it split, but it's there. My mistake was not realizing the inspection cover underneath spanned the center frame (oops). It's pretty ugly inside too, nothing but a huge gear oil soaked mouse nest. I'll tackle that cleanup on Friday after I pick up a new mask and gloves. I can sure understand the importance of making up guide pins now! I wound up locking the rear in gear and then blocking it up and using the big engine hoist to lift the whole front of the tractor up and forward.

Thanks all!!!

John P.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Super 55 Tractor Split for Leaking Seals Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ever get the email?

super 55
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Super 55 Tractor Split for Leaking Seals Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why did you move the front end?

John P.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Super 55 Tractor Split for Leaking Seals Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Super 55 wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:48:36 10/07/1Cool Why did you move the front end?

Since the Crane will lift 4000 pounds, I found it easy to just lift up the whole front end and move it out of the way.

John P.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Super 55 Tractor Split for Leaking Seals Reply to specific post Reply with quote

super 55 wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:31:35 10/06/1Cool
I have mine split right now also. You mentioned you have the special socket, are you talking about removing the Clutch Spider retaining nut? The flat nut with the four notches? Here's how I split mine. I put two hydraulic jacks under the frame just behind the rear edge of the front frame, I also backed those up with two 4X4 blocks cut to fit between the floor and the front frame. I then placed a rolling hydraulic jack under the front end of the rear frame. The front frame stays in one place, and the rear frame rolls back, so make sure you have enough clearance behind the tractor to pull the two frames apart. I suggest you take the clutch spider off, as weell as Retainer for the PTO clutch drive sleeve bearing and replace that seal, and the two O-rings between the retainer and the PTO drive gear. Take off the retainer on the rear of the tractor and pull the PTO drive shaft out and replace the O-ring inside the PTO hub. You may not have to do that, but later on if it starts leaking taking the shaft out and lining it back up may be hard. It's easy with the tractor split.

Okay, now I'm getting closer to start looking for where all these hidden seals and O-Rings are. I do want to change all of them now so I never have to do it again!

super 55
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Super 55 Tractor Split for Leaking Seals Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Okay, there three O-rings. I am guessing you don't have a parts book, so I will attempt to explain exactly where they are located. When you take out the clutch discs, and you remove the nut that holds the spider on, (using that tool that tool you bought on ebay),
there is a bearing cover plate with an oil seal installed. On the backside of that plate is a 1/8" X 3 5/8" ID O-ring. Behind that plate you will see the PTO drive gear. It has a splined section, that is hollow for the PTO drive shaft to go through. On that splined shaft you will find a 1/8" X 1 7/8" ID O-ring. There is a third O-ring located on the PTO shaft, at the PTO hub. You have to pull the PTO drive shaft out from the rear of the tractor. The PTO drive shaft is held in the hub by a roll pin you will have to drive out. Pull the drive shaft out of the hub and replace the 1/8" X 1 7/16" ID O-ring. If you are replacing all the seals involved there are four seals, and a felt washer. If we work from the front end to the rear it goes like this, need to know the serial number because for tractors 6 000-4600 the number is 1E-1588, for 46-001 onward the seal is 1E-545-A, the next seal is 1E-1590, those two seals are located in the clutch hub. The next seal is located in the bearing retainer plate just behind the clutch spider, it's the plate with the large O-ring. The part number is 1E-1569. The last seal is at the rear of the tractor that is installed in the bearing retainer plate, part number 1E-1582. There is also a felt washer located in the retainer plate, part number 1E-1081.

John P.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Super 55 Tractor Split for Leaking Seals Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wow, great writeup!
I'm using the online AGCO parts book from the AGCO site.
This way I can print out the diagrams and then mark them up.
The serial number on this tractor is 18888.

super 55
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Super 55 Tractor Split for Leaking Seals Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So your tractor would be the later part number on the first seal.
100 545A

John P.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Super 55 Tractor Split for Leaking Seals Reply to specific post Reply with quote

super 55 wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:22:28 10/09/1Cool
So your tractor would be the later part number on the first seal.
100 545A

Nope, earlier. I take the 1E-1588 for tractors 6000-46000.

super 55
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Super 55 Tractor Split for Leaking Seals Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Math was never my strong point, it's an early one of course.

John P.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Super 55 Tractor Split for Leaking Seals Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Super 55 wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:10:40 10/09/1Cool Math was never my strong point, it's an early one of course.

Very Happy

I'm going to print out your guide above, so I have it to refer to in the garage this weekend.

super 55
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Super 55 Tractor Split for Leaking Seals Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take your time and work safely. It's a fairly easy job. My parts are waiting for me at the border and will probably be doing it almost the same time.

John P.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Super 55 Tractor Split for Leaking Seals Reply to specific post Reply with quote

super 55 wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:19:39 10/10/1Cool
Take your time and work safely. It's a fairly easy job. My parts are waiting for me at the border and will probably be doing it almost the same time.

I also have to pull the clutch to figure out why it does not want to disengage too.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters