Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CC/DC Case rocker assembly oil issue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swarty1973
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: CC/DC Case rocker assembly oil issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Im restoring a CC Case and just had new bearings poured in the connecting rods and main bearings, head totally redone with all new valves, guides and springs. I have a DC rocker assembly for my CC head id like to install because the cc didn?t have oil to the rockers. The CC assembly has 4 cotter pins to keep the rocker shafts in place. The DC assembly has 2 cotter pins, one on the front and one in the back and the tee in the middle for oil from the block. I can install the DC rocker assembly and grab either rocker shaft and pull them out. What keeps the rocker shafts from sliding forward or aft on a DC head?
Also, any tips on running oil (internally) from my CC block to the DC rocker assembly with a CC head? I know the DC had a tube from the block with a 1/8? restriction hole to the rocker assembly. I was thinking maybe teeing off my center bearing oil fitting, adding the 1/8? restriction and weaseling a line up by the push rods. Let me know if anyone has a better idea. Thanks

DKase
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: CC/DC Case rocker assembly oil issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If I remember right the bolts clamp the rocker shaft in place. You have the right ides to route the oil up to the rockers. I used soft copper and ran them up through the push rod holes. You will have to fabricate a clamp to hold the copper in place. There is not much extra room through there.

Swarty1973
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: CC/DC Case rocker assembly oil issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok, I just set them in there and hadn't tightened anything up yet, makes sense now.

What size of tubing did you use for the rockers? Right now everything is 3/8" tubing to the main bearings but if there's a 1/8" restrictor normally in the line, would it make sense to tap into a main bearing and use a 1/8" copper line to the rockers?

DKase
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: CC/DC Case rocker assembly oil issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used 1/4" thinking the vibration would not crack it as quickly. The restriction is the holes in the rocker tube. Make sure the holes point the proper direction.

Ron Sa
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: CC/DC Case rocker assembly oil issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This does not help with the plumbing but here is a tidbit of information about how to correctly rotate the rocker arm shaft in a D series rocker arm assembly. I assembled a few before I learned this.

Nedd
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: CC/DC Case rocker assembly oil issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just ran out and took pictures of two I have Both previous owners piped into lines from the oil pump inside the crankcase. They both go into the head with a threaded brass fitting then up to the rocker assembly from a D.C. One is 1/8th line other is 3/16-1/4

casecollectorsc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: CC/DC Case rocker assembly oil issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A 30 C and a 35 CC here don't have added oil lines but the nuts on the valve cover are well worn. Someone must have repeatedly taken the valve covers off and oiled the rockers.

IA Roy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: CC/DC Case rocker assembly oil issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Better to use steel tubing. Copper will eventually work harden and crack from vibration. Maybe never on a parade/tractorride/trailer queen. But on a working machine it could happen. Steel is more like a spring. Don't yield it and it will flex a very long time without work hardening.

Swarty1973
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: CC/DC Case rocker assembly oil issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all the pics and ideas. This is what I came up with after talking to everyone. I got a female tee, tapped the side with 1/8? npt and replaced the original main bearing tee with it. I tapped the rocker shaft tee with 1/4 npt threads and I?ll be adding a small needle valve by the rocker assembly to control the flow. I?ll run a 1/8 copper line internally between the main bearing and the rocker assembly with a few clamps up through the pushrod valley.
I have been getting a lot of help from Don Livingston and John Saeli. They?re been sending me parts and providing invaluable information via email and phone calls. Couldn?t have done any of this without them. I?ll post pics when I get the oil line routed. Also here?s a few pics of the engine. Don rebabbited my main bearings and connecting rods. Local machine shop worked the cylinder head with new valves, guides and springs from John. Head, magnafluxed and decked. Crank turned down and block line reamed. Will be ordering new pistons, sleeves and gasket kit soon.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters