Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ford 14-92 Pitman wood

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerrycpp(WA)

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Ford 14-92 Pitman wood Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does anyone have a good source for a HICKORY pitman wood for this mower? It is 1 1/8" x 2" x 37 11/16". I found a new one of unknown wood for $13.88 on the internet, but the shipping is nearly $17.00! I'd make my own if I can find a chunk of hickory. Out here in Washington hardwood is a foreign product. Right now I'm making one out of an old oak pallet base.

Glen in TX

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 14-92 Pitman wood Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Might check with Balsters? Doesn't say on their site what they are made of. Ask at smallfarmersjournal.com too and look at the antique horse drawn equipment supplier list there. If any Amish or Mennonite communities close to you ask them also. For our JD mower I had better luck paying the higher price from JD than the cheap farm store pitman sticks.

georgeky

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 14-92 Pitman wood Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I make my own. They are easy to make. If you have access to a table saw cut out 3 or 4 then just drill the holes where need be.

georgeky

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 14-92 Pitman wood Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I must have missed part of your post. I guess Hickory is scarce in that part of the woods. I have had good luck with straight grained oak too.

Jerrycpp(WA)

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 14-92 Pitman wood Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's not the making - I have a full wood-working shop. It's the raw material that is rare around here. I'd like a source for a chunk of Hickory that I can mill to specs, but not break the bank in cost or shipping.

georgeky

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 14-92 Pitman wood Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jerry, I have lots of Hickory trees here, but I am in central Ky. Gas is cheap, just drive on down and we will get you a chunk.

Charles Santhuff

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 14-92 Pitman wood Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a used mower that had square tubing for a pitman. That was 15 years ago and its still running.

JerrCPP(WA)

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 14-92 Pitman wood Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer, if I'm ever in the area, I'll look you up!

plowboy 1

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 14-92 Pitman wood Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try checking with any cabinet shops? I got a piece of ash from a place out here (Mass.) pricey but I've made 3 or4 out of it.

Oldmax

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 14-92 Pitman wood Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hickery might not be the best matertal for a pitman rod Oak or Ash has a little more give to it I make mine from Oak . Hickery is Brittle and will snap quicker than other woods . I was under impression that the 14-92 had a metal pitman rod .

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters