Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

JD 45 combine

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Poss
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: JD 45 combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Picking beans yesterday about ten bushel before I realized no beans were coming out of the clean grain auger. Seen that a chain came off for the auger but now combine is so plugged up that it won't engage. I spent all afternoon pulling stalks out of feeder house and straw walkers put a pipe wrench on shaft to clear clean grain auger, still won't engage belt just slips. This is my first combine so I am very new to this. Any ideas where to look for obstructions? Thanks, Mark

spacechem
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 45 combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There's a conveyor chain under the cylinder to take grain back to the cleaning shoe. I'd bet it's full. Raise the header, BLOCK IT UP, and open the door underneath. Try to be upwind when it opens...

spacechem
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 45 combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thought some more after my earlier post. By "clean grain auger" do you mean the upper one in the grain tank? If so, you've got the entire machine plugged and a lot of work ahead. If you mean the lower one at the bottom of the machine, then my earlier post should help.

Open the big door on top of the combine above the straw walkers. Look forward and find the beater. If it's not plugged, maybe the cylinder is. Remove the small door above the feederhouse and start digging. Lowering the concave should help.

Mark Poss
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: JD 45 combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks I will try that today weather permitting

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: JD 45 combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Be careful. We just had a fella crushed by his own combine, family found him in the field dead.

So, open up things, leave the trap doors open for the clean grain elevator, etc. if the clean grain is plugged, work on that first maybe. Take the drive chain off or loosen the slip clutch or whatever is easiest, of the clean grain elevator/auger, so you are -only- turning that with the pipe wrench.

Slap the clean grain elevator (rubber mallet works well, or chunk of wood, or a light beating with your hand), poke into it from the bottom carefully with a rod or crow bar to loosen the grain in it, wiggle the chain so the paddles wobble some. Little by little this will let a few kernels fall out the bottom. Likewise work into the auger going intot he machine, getting little by little some out. It will seem pointless for a while, eventually it will let loose and move quite a bit and you will have it. Likely the auger into the machine is likely still piled up with grain, so leave the elevator door open, get the auger spinning a while to get that all cleaned out and on the ground, or you will just plug the elevator again in 5 revolutions...

Then likewise at the other places it is plugged. Treat each area separate, work on that part of the machine, isolate by removing chains so you are only working one one area, not 4 plugs at the same time if indeed more areas are plugged.

About the time you think it is hopeless some little bit will fall out and it all clears up real quick then. You just have to keep at it.

Again, be careful, watch your finger tips and your frustration level and don?t get yourself into turning the machine on and trying to grab or assist it at the same time. That is when very bad and costly or deadly things happen to you. Lock up or block that header so it doesn?t fall.

We had a 50some year old and a 19 year old killed in these types of accidents within 3 hours of each other this week. And so I?m just gonna preach be safe for a while. It weighs on a person......

The pipe wrench, a rod or pry bar, and just go through the frustration for a while, you will get it.

Paul

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters