Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Deere 40 and Amish

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark (EC,IN)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Deere 40 and Amish Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My neighbors at work. A Deere 40 with a one-row head and a harness of six animals.

Mark (EC,IN)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Deere 40 and Amish Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try the pictures again

Mark (EC,IN)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Deere 40 and Amish Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One more

MattLF9
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Deere 40 and Amish Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They invaded our county 22 years ago.
I wish everyone knew what I have learned about them from my personal experience.
Maybe they aren't like the ones here??

Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Deere 40 and Amish Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What Matt said times 4. Tom

1923 Gleaner
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Deere 40 and Amish Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Mattlf9 wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:24:43 10/21/1Cool They invaded our county 22 years ago.
I wish everyone knew what I have learned about them from my personal experience.
Maybe they aren't like the ones here??

You mean because they can pay cash for their land? Confused

Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Deere 40 and Amish Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The initial ones here may have paid cash. I think there was some 1031 money involved. But if not I would rather take out a note to buy land with and provide my wife some decent house items to make bearing those 20 welfare babies that you and I pay for a bit less tedious. Tom

rockyridgefarm
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Deere 40 and Amish Reply to specific post Reply with quote

4435 wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:03:10 10/22/1Cool The initial ones here may have paid cash. I think there was some 1031 money involved. But if not I would rather take out a note to buy land with and provide my wife some decent house items to make bearing those 20 welfare babies that you and I pay for a bit less tedious. Tom

Tom,

I know several Mennonite and Amish families personally, and I can say for a fact that the ones I know are on no government programs. On the whole, they are hard working and honest people. There may be a few bad ones, but those are usually thrown out of the group and only pretend to still be members.

You might want to know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.

rockyridgefarm
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Deere 40 and Amish Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Mark (EC,IN) wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:21:12 10/20/1Cool Try the pictures again

That's a 42. I just hauled 2000 bushel of organic ear corn from an Amish to a Mennonite. The Amish group cannot hire custom operators or use a combine. They ear picked the corn with an International 1pr and a New Idea pulled by 6 mules each. if they want to shell it, they gotta use a stationary sheller. For beans, they would have to use a reaper/binder and run them through a thresher.

1923 Gleaner
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Deere 40 and Amish Reply to specific post Reply with quote

rockyridgefarm wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:14:11 10/23/1Cool
4435 wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:03:10 10/22/1Cool The initial ones here may have paid cash. I think there was some 1031 money involved. But if not I would rather take out a note to buy land with and provide my wife some decent house items to make bearing those 20 welfare babies that you and I pay for a bit less tedious. Tom

Tom,

I know several Mennonite and Amish families personally, and I can say for a fact that the ones I know are on no government programs. On the whole, they are hard working and honest people. There may be a few bad ones, but those are usually thrown out of the group and only pretend to still be members.

You might want to know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.

I agree. The ones I know around Yoder, KS are very good hard working people. I have never heard of an Amish taking any form of government assistance. I kinda envy them on being able to opt out of Social Security as they take care of themselves which is the way I would prefer my association with Social Security.

Also you never hear of an Amish family pushing Mom and Dad into a nursing home to get rid of them. I highly respect the Amish.

Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Deere 40 and Amish Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They are across the road from me. Going on 12 years now. Just going on what I see and hear not always from the Amish but from those who deal with them in various relationships.

And remember they are PEOPLE and there are different personalities to deal with. As for the beginning farmer Loan this was a young man who had worked for me a considerable period of time. I don't doubt him.

When they go for medical and want it thru charity the medical profession writes it off but you and I the tax payer/patient (who pays his bill) wind up footing that bill.

23 gleaner and ridge farm I am glad your Amish and Mennonite acquaintances are upstanding. As for Matt and myself the experience has not been so good. Tom

rockyridgefarm
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Deere 40 and Amish Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Funny you should mention medical. One family’s wife had cancer and she had a historectomy at UW Madison. Her family ended up paying a huge sum of money for it. Her husband told me it was quite a struggle for quite a while. Most groups have a sort of mutual aid among themselves. If one has a huge debt due to a medical emergency or a barn fire, the others pay in to help the family out.

There’s nothing wrong with taking a young farmer loan - it has to be paid back, and it gives young farmers a chance at a loan that a bank isnt likely to offer. I’d rather see the FSA get more into young farmer loans and get out of the crop insurance scam...

agonair
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Deere 40 and Amish Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here at Arthur, IL, the 4th largest US Amish settlement, custom work for the Amish is a good business. We have several smaller farmers with smaller equipment who do custom harvesting and baling for the Amish farmers. Most of the Amish farmers here take care of planting, but hire harvesting. The full-time Amish farmers, which are very few here, as most have off-farm jobs working in wood shop manufacturing, do have harvesting capability. We have one guy here who has a John Deere 42 with a three row head hooked to a 4 cyl. diesel on a forecart. He can unload on the go with it. Quite a set up to watch. He has lights rigged up on it. Every Amish settlement has good and bad "apples", just like us. Good and bad. For the most part, the Amish are good hard working people.

MattLF9
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Deere 40 and Amish Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One guy here racked up a huge medical bill
and told the hospital he couldn't afford to
pay the bill and the hospital bought his
story.
Later on he was trying to buy 160 acres
with $600,000 cash in a suit case.

Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Deere 40 and Amish Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Matt Don't know why you and I had to get the shyster Amish. Sounds like everywhere else they are saints. Tom

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters