Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

John Deere g head gasket

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Le9102011
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: John Deere g head gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello. I have a 1947 GM that i have completely torn down the engine and rebuilt. Today it started weeping water into the left cylinder when I let
it sit for a couple of hours. It will start on one cylinder and I leave the petcock open on the trouble cylinder and will run on one cylinder till the
water is out then pop it runs on both with no water coming out just exhaust and no white smoke coming out of the exhaust after it starts running
on both cylinders. I have retorqued the head twice and used blue devil block sealer after I rebuilt it to make sure I didn?t miss anything. There
isn?t any oil in the coolant nor is there any bubbles in the radiator while running or starting. I really don?t want to have tear down the engine
again I?m hoping it may just be another retorque. It was flooding out with gas when I let it sit but I did disconnect the plug wires to get all the
gas out of the cylinders before i started it.

Le9102011
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere g head gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I took the valve cover off and retorqued all the bolts. Started to move the nuts at about 175 foot pounds and retorqued all of them to 210 foot pounds. Still stumped as to why one cylinder had water and the other didn?t.

greenmech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere g head gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Seems like you got a crack in the block or head. Ron Mn

Paul from MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere g head gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Might try changing to a John Deere gasket with metal on both sides. I had the same problem on my D with an aftermarket gasket. Changed to a John Deere gasket, no more problem.

Le9102011
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere g head gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I,would 100% agree with you on that, but the jd gaskets for a g are not available anymore and with .90 over pistons the gaskets I got from Ytmag and Steiner don?t look like they will hold up for more than a season of shows parade etc and I don?t want to keep pulling the head off every year spells disaster for the head studs. If you know of a nos or somewhere I can get the proper head gasket (and exhaust gasket) that would be awesome.

Le9102011
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere g head gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The head the tractor came with had cracks in it and I replaced it with a mag and pressure tested head and the block was mag aswell when it was board.

KL in Wi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere g head gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try Olson'sgaskets.com I have had very good luck with them.

MSD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere g head gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Put a Murphy's head gasket in it. Murphy Motor Sports from MO. does a lot of engine work for JD pullers and his gaskets are good. We've even reused them numerous times with no problems.

Earl-IL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere g head gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OLSON GASKETS Are the Best. Make sure manifold studs are not leaking. Original studs are oversize on the end that screws into head. Get hold of Henry at H&J Machining 701-652-3289 he has the correct studs.

sunsettractor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere g head gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Was wondering if the head re torquing solved your problem ?
Having a similar issue with my styled D...Tom

BushogPapa
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere g head gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I hate those Lead washers JD provides, but if you place a thin HARDENED Washer over the Lead, you can torque easier and more safely (not as many Sharpe shrouds to avoid..

I ALWAYS use a "Running Torque"..that is, engine at FULL Saturated operating temp and RUN each nut until you get the correct "Torque"..

What you really are measuring is the Stretch of the Head Bolts and that cannot happen, until those Bolts are HOT all the way to the engine Block...

Then, if it does seep, RUN it, USE it, the Head will settle down and seal...

BushogPapa
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere g head gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Helped install a really Large Press... at the called for Torque, it boounced and raised um-Heck..!!

Turned out, the anchor bolts were to be Heated RED HOT to a height of 6 Feet, then torqued..!!

Earl-IL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere g head gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is wrong with your tractor?

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters