Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Disc hydraulic cylinder help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billyji
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject: Disc hydraulic cylinder help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How is this cylinder suppose to work. I bought disc from a gentleman and he said he had the cylinder rebuilt and it never worked right afterwards. I put new lines on it and with n ot on the desk it went in and out. Once I installed it it went up what would never lower again it jumps a little bit when you first apply pressure to the handle.
I haven't been able to find a manual for it or any insight. Hopefully this is posted in the correct section if not please move it

Handyman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Disc hydraulic cylinder help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My guess is the cylinder was not reassembled correctly.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Disc hydraulic cylinder help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pioneer tips? Is it stiffening up both hoses when you try to use it? Those tips can be a problem now and then.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Disc hydraulic cylinder help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IIRC after repair one needs to stand cylinder with hose end aimed upward then operate with tractor hyd system cylinder rod in/out several times to bleed air out of cylinder

Billyji
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Disc hydraulic cylinder help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tx Jim, thanks for the wake up ! I wasn't sure what the long pin and collar was for and it threw me off.
I hooked it up to my wifes JD 2755. I left it low so any air could come to the surface. I cycled it about ten time with no issue. Originally I had it hooked to my Kubota m135gx. I mention this because of different flow rates.

rrlund I do have pioneer tips. It was moving less than an inch and locking with the line jumping originally with pressure on it.

I have not had a chance to put it back on the disc and try it with the weight.
Does the rod or pin and collar do anything ?

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Disc hydraulic cylinder help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's the depth stop. You set that where you want the cylinder to stop retracting so the disc will only drop so far. The collar pushes the pin in and stops the oil flow.

David from Kansas
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc hydraulic cylinder help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

those cylinders are from the JD 2-cylinder era. Was once told that there were a early and a late variety. The early ones had pipe fitting hose ports and the later had O-ring type ports. The early ones were low pressure and it was advised not to use them on new gen JD tractors because of the increase in pressure. Don't take any of this for gospe00l because it was only what I was told many years ago. When Dad bought a new jd 730 Diesel in 1959 that is the style of cylinder that was with it. Most of those cylinders I have seen lately either have the depth control collar broken, or the locking lever is missing or broken. It was a nice feature that those cylinders had that the depth control could be over ridden by holding the control lever in the down position after it had popped into the neutral position.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Disc hydraulic cylinder help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-david from kansas wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:39:54 12/17/18) those cylinders are from the JD 2-cylinder era. Was once told that there were a early and a late variety. The early ones had pipe fitting hose ports and the later had O-ring type ports..

To my knowledge the hyd cylinders similar to OP's photo with NPT where hoses attach were for 2 cylinder tractors & the cylinders with ORB for attaching hoses were built for New Generation & later tractors

VicS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc hydraulic cylinder help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Right

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Using Your Tractor & Crop Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters