Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ford 2n Serial Number

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boxrucker4
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Ford 2n Serial Number Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I recently picked up a little Ford and I'm
trying to figure out the year. The oval
radius rods tell me it's after 1944.
However the serial number reads 9N8183.
That is all. That would make it a 1939. But
this one has frost plugs on the side, and I
know the 1939 9n's originally did not. So
what am I doing wrong? Is there any other
numbers I can look at to get me a more
precise year?

boxrucker4
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 2n Serial Number Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here are some pics

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 2n Serial Number Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check the rear axle trumpets for a date code cast in as well as the
hydraulic pump. All of these parts, including the radius rods could
have been changed over the years. My guess is that someone put
an earlier 9N engine in a 2N to get it running again.

16-30 oilpull
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 2n Serial Number Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I believe the 2's serial # is 9N.... the ones I have are. Someone else may know for sure.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 2n Serial Number Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"I believe the 2's serial # is 9N.... the ones I have are. Someone else may know for sure."

You are correct, 2N serial numbers begin with 9N, but wouldn't be that low.

boxrucker4
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 2n Serial Number Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I couldn't find a date on the hydraulic
pump, but I'll pull it out tomorrow and
look. But why would the serial number be so
low? If it was truly a 1939 it shouldn't
have frost plugs. So I thought anyway..

TimInd
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 2n Serial Number Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 2n, original engine. The engine no. begins with 9n. Put your question on the Ford 9n,2n,8n forum. Those folks know everything about your ride.

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 2n Serial Number Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They used serial numbers starting with 9N for both the 9N and 2N models. The numbers did keep increasing over the years so there is no overlap between them. Definitely sounds like a tractor with a mixture of parts from different years. Nothing wrong with that. Just know which year a particular section of the tractor is if you need to get parts for it so you get the right ones.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 2n Serial Number Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The very early 9N blocks had no Welch/freeze plugs. Later ones
did. There were several variations over the years as I understand.
I can't tell you when those changes actually occurred.

There is no need to pull the hydraulic pump. The numbers would
be cast into the outside on the bottom if there were there.

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 2n Serial Number Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How many plugs do you see and there location? If the engine is '39 is the trans also '39? Any numbers in this location?

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 2n Serial Number Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Almost all '39's had welch (freeze) plugs, just most weren't in highly visible spots. How many and where are they located?

boxrucker4
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 2n Serial Number Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are 2 freeze plugs on the left side of the block. And there aren't any numbers on the transmission. Thanks

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 2n Serial Number Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My '39 #7863 has the one plug behind the starter. My later '39 # about 9500 has the same as yours. one in front of the oil filter and one behind the
starter. Earlier 39's like my #1442 have the plug at the rear of the block. I would say your tractor has a swapped out block from a '39

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters