Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mopardude318
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So here lies an old Cletrac that belonged to my father in law. It WAS running 20 some odd years ago, but he parked it right here and that was it, I don't know what could be wrong with it. He sadly passed away a few years ago.

After successfully bringing his old Oliver 550 back to life that sat for just as long, maybe just maybe I can get this thing running again. It's in rough shape, guess I can start by checking if the engine isn't seized. Any advice? Run away? LOL

The 2 brother in laws think I'm nuts, but I would get a kick out of it if the family saw this old heap run again.

Let me know if these pictures went through. And after seeing them, would you also agree I am nuts? lol

mopardude318
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

those pics are about worthless. dang. sorry about that.

Anthony76
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I thought the pictures were great. It doesnt look like it is in to bad of shape. I would try to get it running again.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pictures look fine to me.Tractor looks good too I once got a Allis Chalmers UC started after working on it for a couple hrs that hadn't run in over 30 years.It smoked and burned some
oil but that was the case before it was parked probably what helped preserve it.

IanC
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Undercarriage and blade cylinders don't look too bad, needs to be brought back. If you haven't dealt with a Cletrac/Oliver before, THE guy to talk to is Landis Zimmerman in Ephrata PA 717-
738-2573.

RBoots
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it ain't seized up, it'll run. Looks
like you're in a drier area like the
southwest US? If that was setting outside
in MI, the condensation would have probably
stuck the engine in a year or 2. Clean the
carb, get fuel down to it, clean the
points, get power to the coil and from the
coil to the distributor, and I'll bet
she'll run. Oh yeah, check all the fluids
first and dump a little oil in the
cylinders through the spark plug holes
before you try to crank it over.

oliver90owner
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Simple. They ain?t making them anymore. They will only become more rare than they are already. It is always worth at least checking out
what is actually wrong and possible fixes. There are poeple out there that actually know what they are talking about. Speak to them, not the
average (or below) reply on a forum.

Tractorcedric
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the motor is not stuck, it should not be all that bad! You should try cause that thing could still do a lot of work. I would like to run it!

scootergmc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The surrounding scenery could be any one of a thousand places in California. That means if it's not stuck, it will run, probably fairly easily.

mopardude318
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm in Hollister Ca, 40 miles south of the San Fransisco Bay Area. It stay pretty dry out here.

Today I pulled the plugs, which came out easy, and poured some Marvel Mystery oil down the cylinders. Some of that oil made its way past the rings and was dripping out of the carburetor.

I checked the oil, it was low but it had some!

I took the Carb off, I'll take it apart and do a rebuild. The shift lever isn't stuck, I can shift into every gear with ease. Clutch pedal was movin nicely. Its got a front mounted hydraulic pump, so I don't think I'll be able to turn the engine over that way, I'll have to use the starter. Unless there is another way? These are probably positive ground machines? Not all the wiring is there, I'll have to figure out where to hook wires up to so I can bump the starter.

I can spin the PTO shaft out back by hand.

I took the seat off so I can gain access to this trans cover plate.

Not sure what this little lever does, PTO engagement?

Where's the oil filter on this thing?

scootergmc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It came out the carb because it came through the head and manifold, not past the rings.

Grab the fan and see if the belts are tight enough to make the motor turn.

mopardude318
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

scootergmc wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:16:56 11/15/1Cool
It came out the carb because it came through the head and manifold, not past the rings.

Grab the fan and see if the belts are tight enough to make the motor turn.

Yea, that's what I meant. LOL.

I tried the fan belt trick, couldn't do it. I think tomorrow I'll jack the blade up, and chain it. I'll try to pull it with another tractor I have. I'll be careful. Lol I really don't think it's seized.

hd6gtom
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

An hour with a power washer would do wonders. It may not have an oil filter. Some of my early tractors did
not have them.

scootergmc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

mopardude318 wrote:

Where's the oil filter on this thing?

Left side of engine. Should be that big canister thing. Has an element inside.

oliver90owner
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

While Cletrac engines can be a problem for spares (more particularly the oil burners, I think), it is usually the undercarriage which is the
expensive part, if completely shot. This one does not look too bad, and anything can be rectified, but this can be the expensive part of restoring
a crawler to tip-top running condition.

I would get power to the starter motor and check that oil pressure can be raised (without spark plugs in place) before trying to start the engine.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters