Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running...

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mopardude318
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-oliver90owner wrote:
(quoted from post at 02:46:04 11/16/1Cool While Cletrac engines can be a problem for spares (more particularly the oil burners, I think), it is usually the undercarriage which is the
expensive part, if completely shot. This one does not look too bad, and anything can be rectified, but this can be the expensive part of restoring
a crawler to tip-top running condition.

I would get power to the starter motor and check that oil pressure can be raised (without spark plugs in place) before trying to start the engine.

Okay, I hooked power to the starter, the engine spins freely! (with the plugs out of course)

I'll hook up an oil pressure gauge and see what I can find out.

Donald Lehman
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The rear sprockets looks pretty good, so I assume the tracks aren't too bad. Everything looks reasonably decent. I say it is worth fooling around with until you find something seriously wrong with it. As mentioned below, contact Landiss Zimmerman. He will steer you right. I redid a family OC-4 and got everything I needed from Mr. Zimmerman. He has a ton of parts around for Oliver/Cletrac. His brother also has a foundry where they cast some new parts.

mopardude318
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks. We're gettin somewhere. Have new plugs, new coil, I got spark at the plugs. And it's popin, I'd like to verify the firing order. Any one have a diagram?

DNW in MI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just about all straight six cylinders engine firing order is 15 36 24. Does it run if you spray some parts cleaner in the intake.

mopardude318
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-DNW in Mi wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:04:56 11/18/1Cool Just about all straight six cylinders engine firing order is 15 36 24. Does it run if you spray some parts cleaner in the intake.

It's cranks over, once in a while it'll pop. Yes I was spraying some starting fluid. I pulled the plugs multiple times and put a few drops of gas in each cylinder. I have my hand over the carb as a choke. But that's all I'm gettin. Tried for a few hours today...

scootergmc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

mopardude318 wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:10:51 11/18/1Cool
CVPost-DNW in Mi wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:04:56 11/18/1Cool Just about all straight six cylinders engine firing order is 15 36 24. Does it run if you spray some parts cleaner in the intake.

It's cranks over, once in a while it'll pop. Yes I was spraying some starting fluid. I pulled the plugs multiple times and put a few drops of gas in each cylinder. I have my hand over the carb as a choke. But that's all I'm gettin. Tried for a few hours today...

It won't do anything until you rebuild the carb. You'll just be wasting time and even if it starts, you'll still have issues. Get a kit, run fuel from a bypass tank or something to get it going.

mopardude318
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

scootergmc wrote:

It won't do anything until you rebuild the carb. You'll just be wasting time and even if it starts, you'll still have issues. Get a kit, run fuel from a bypass tank or something to get it going.

I took the carb apart and cleaned everything, but I didn't have a rebuild kit. I reused everything. That could be one of my problems I guess. Zimmerman mentioned forget this carb and buy a rebuilt Zenith from him for $270, since there's nothin available for the Tillotson.

I have another fuel source sittin on the hood as a gravity feed.

DNW in MI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

have you taken a compression test of the cylinders yet to see what is going in side

mopardude318
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-DNW in Mi wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:25:45 11/19/1Cool have you taken a compression test of the cylinders yet to see what is going in side

I'll do that first thing tomorrow and report back.

scootergmc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

mopardude318 wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:04:11 11/19/1Cool
scootergmc wrote:

I took the carb apart and cleaned everything, but I didn't have a rebuild kit. I reused everything. That could be one of my problems I guess. Zimmerman mentioned forget this carb and buy a rebuilt Zenith from him for $270, since there's nothin available for the Tillotson.

I have another fuel source sittin on the hood as a gravity feed.

Call these guys: http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/TrackitsC.htm#TracClet

mopardude318
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Okay so I have some stuck valves. LOL. 0 psi on all cylinders except number 5, 80 psi. I pulled the intake/exhaust manifold and the head off. Think I'm gonna do a quick valve job. Nothin I cant handle.

mopardude318
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Alright today I pressure washed the head and intake/exhaust manifold, then did a real quick bead blast job. Good enough. LOL

I cleaned the top of the block, pistons, wiped the bores out and wire wheeled everything. My father is coming over today with a valve spring tool so I can remove the valves. I'll bead blast those too. More to come.

mopardude318
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So........from what I found out why it was parked, my wife's brother mentioned it needed planetary gears, or they were broken, or something of that matter, he couldn't remember exactly, but for sure had something to do with the planetary gears.

Are these something that could be rebuilt?

scootergmc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Doubt I can get this BGS-H Cletrac running... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

mopardude318 wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:56:26 11/22/1Cool So........from what I found out why it was parked, my wife's brother mentioned it needed planetary gears, or they were broken, or something of that matter, he couldn't remember exactly, but for sure had something to do with the planetary gears.

Are these something that could be rebuilt?

Planetaries? I doubt the gears themselves are bad. My guess would be if it's like the other Cletrac/Olivers, the bushings may be bad or the brake bands need relining.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters