Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

F20 exhaust manifold stud replacement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryanmor24
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: F20 exhaust manifold stud replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How hard is it to get an original exhaust manifold apart on a '35 F20 without cracking it? I broke off a stud and would like to replace it. See the pictures. I am only concerned since its the dual fuel manifold and not replaceable.

Loren in Iowa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: F20 exhaust manifold stud replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You might try to replace the stud without disassembling the manifold. Weld a nut onto the
top of the broken stud. The weld won't stick to the cast manifold. The heat from welding
might allow the stud to come loose. Carefully work the nut back and forth, and the stud
should come out. Run a tap into the hole, to clean out the threads.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: F20 exhaust manifold stud replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you will be pulling manifolds apart and drilling and tapping holes. or a machine shop will.

SadFarmall
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: F20 exhaust manifold stud replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use a local engineer, who has a Sparkerator, which uses a sacrificial piece of copper to spark out whatever you want to remove. Whatever size and shape the copper, that is what the machine sparks out. Then you can remove the remains of the thread with long-nosed pliers. There is zero risk of damaging the cast iron, unless you drop it. I have had various tractor and IHC mower parts worked on this fashion, as nuts, bolts and studs are cheap and the cast iron parts are not.
SadFarmall

moll
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: F20 exhaust manifold stud replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also, when I weld removal nuts I first weld a flat washer to the broken bolt, this makes
a better weld. Then I weld the nut to the washer. Only thing is, it has to work after
that because if it doesn't you can make the stud hard to drill.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters