Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Fixing Old Tractors, Am I Crazy, Could Go Broke!

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1370rod
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Fixing Old Tractors, Am I Crazy, Could Go Broke! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This 770 I acquired a year ago. I have been working on it in my spare time ever since. The first pic is before and second is after, not much difference in appearance. The trans-rearend is the only thing I did not rebuild, seriously! Everything else. engine, clutch, radiator, tires, rims hyd valves, steering, electrical, hyd pump the list goes on and on. In just parts I have spent more than the tractor would sell for. I really like the way it runs and drives now and plan on using it often, but was it wrong to fix it? I can not sell it as that would be like throwing money out the window. I hope to get some use out of it and when I am done a son or son-in-law hopefully can use it. I know I am not the only one to have done this. I hope I get over this tractor fever soon or my wife will have me committed, LOL. The 770 will not get repainted, it will be a daily driver. My next money pit is a 570 diesel, geez I hope I get cured soon. Rod.

T

DKase
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing Old Tractors, Am I Crazy, Could Go Broke! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can do them in your sleep. I think your next project needs to be in the 90 to 100 year old range. You need a challenge! Or maybe a Mopar???

shaun wallace
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing Old Tractors, Am I Crazy, Could Go Broke! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think the cure is another one and another one and so on. lol!

kevinthefixer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing Old Tractors, Am I Crazy, Could Go Broke! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Of course you're crazy. Look what you do in your "spare" time! And sorry, there's no cure.

Seriously, nobody does this for the money. You do it for the warm fuzzy. That tractor is yours in a way that can't be bought. No other being on the planet knows that machine like you do!

RBnWA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing Old Tractors, Am I Crazy, Could Go Broke! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good lookin tractor Rod. I agree with Shaun 200%. RB

Don Rudolph
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing Old Tractors, Am I Crazy, Could Go Broke! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rod,

Sounds eerily similar to my 400 Super Diesel. Everything, and I mean everything was either worn out or abused on that tractor. But the silver lining was the lights worked perfectly when I pulled the switch. I don't know if you can completely cure the tractor bug. Don You already have a Mopar, don't you?

Ande
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing Old Tractors, Am I Crazy, Could Go Broke! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry Rod, but this is incurable, but on the bright side, you are mentored by all of us, as we too have this disease. By the way Rod, that "770" looks much better!

Dugger
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing Old Tractors, Am I Crazy, Could Go Broke! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="CVPost-1370rod"](reply to post at 20:41:51 12/06/18) [/quote]

I think we are nuts but I like doing it
I’ve got combines that I’ve spent two or three times
What they are worth but when I get one done and take them
To the field and use them it makes it all worth while
Keep up the good work 1370
Dugger

pinball
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing Old Tractors, Am I Crazy, Could Go Broke! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

what value do you put on something you wanted, gained all the knowledge of fixing it up, seeing the finish product running and being able to use it the way you want. I call that priceless. for a long time I have been buy small dozers, tractors to fix up. don't think I have made any money at all and some I know I lost money but the idea of keeping busy, gaining all the knowledge to probably make me dangerous, getting gratitude from seeing a machine running properly is a money value I cant put on it. nice looking old case you got there.

1370rod
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing Old Tractors, Am I Crazy, Could Go Broke! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes Don the Mopar Bug has bitten hard also,LOL.

1370rod
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing Old Tractors, Am I Crazy, Could Go Broke! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Darrel the Mopar is in the shed waiting, just have to kick this tractor bug first, Rod.

urbancase
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing Old Tractors, Am I Crazy, Could Go Broke! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

looks good, I would rather be working on tractors and saving some from the scrap yard than most other things. we have another grandson on the way and I told the wife time for another tractor, I got that look but we shall see. one of these days I would like to have a black knight, do you have one? keep up the good work.

Don Rudolph
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing Old Tractors, Am I Crazy, Could Go Broke! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yup! Me too. Should be on the road by Memorial Day. Don

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Fixing Old Tractors, Am I Crazy, Could Go Broke! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think most look at it the wrong way. It's not what you can sell it for that is important unless that's why you bought it. I always judge it by what the equipment can do for me and what it would cost to buy something newer to do the job. If you can buy a tractor that will do what that one will but more reliably, and cheaper, then you over spent. If not, you made a good bargain. Realistically what could you buy for 10k that would be better? And then we all have that one, mine is a 400d that I'm into for almost $7,000.00 and it still don't run. I did however save $300.00 by not machining the block. Lol

db4600
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Fixing Old Tractors, Am I Crazy, Could Go Broke! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think about my hobby from time to time. Some people have habits, some hobbies, and some addictions. I figure my addiction is no worse then some I could have and it?s legal! My high schooler is currently redoing my 80 year old Rumsey hit-n-miss in HS small engines class. I guess if my addiction is hereditary and I never make a dime on that old engine I?ll be fine with that.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters