Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

53' Ford Jubilee

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcfarms
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: 53' Ford Jubilee Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was on here some months ago about my jubilee cutting out on me and finding out it was the points, replaced the points back then started up well, but I spun the distributor and it died( didn't realize a hold bolt was loose), but I could never get it to start up again, just puffed smoke, so I thought it was a timing issue(also noted so on here) but also found out no gas was making it to the cylinders. Dry plugs. So I just got back on it today, replaced carb 1 1/4 turn on big screw and 2 turns out on small screw, set timing manually at timing hole 0 TDC (but the rotor is now a different position for No.1 after that dist. spin, don't know if that means anything or not) have spark at plugs, changed ignition switch, checked points gap, distributor dust cap, rotor and dist. cap on correctly, turned on ignition, no start, then it backfired through the exhaust. So, I set the timing again this time 8 degrees BTD, checked everything above, turned over well but never fired up then backfired through the exhaust again. Plugs appear dry so there must be a mis-step somewhere between the fuel uptake and the timing, I'm lost at this point and could use your advice/opinions. Tractor has about 340 hrs on motor. Thanks, Ron

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 53' Ford Jubilee Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-rcfarms wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:06:13 01/05/19) I was on here some months ago about my jubilee cutting out on me and finding out it was the points, replaced the points back then started up well, but I spun the distributor and it died( didn't realize a hold bolt was loose), but I could never get it to start up again, just puffed smoke, so I thought it was a timing issue(also noted so on here) but also found out no gas was making it to the cylinders. Dry plugs. So I just got back on it today, replaced carb 1 1/4 turn on big screw and 2 turns out on small screw, set timing manually at timing hole 0 TDC (but the rotor is now a different position for No.1 after that dist. spin, don't know if that means anything or not) have spark at plugs, changed ignition switch, checked points gap, distributor dust cap, rotor and dist. cap on correctly, turned on ignition, no start, then it backfired through the exhaust. So, I set the timing again this time 8 degrees BTD, checked everything above, turned over well but never fired up then backfired through the exhaust again. Plugs appear dry so there must be a mis-step somewhere between the fuel uptake and the timing, I'm lost at this point and could use your advice/opinions. Tractor has about 340 hrs on motor. Thanks, Ron
rotate engine full revolution until ) is back in window, set distributor timing here & rotor will be back where you want it & probably start.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 53' Ford Jubilee Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JMOR wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:10:28 01/05/19)
CVPost-rcfarms wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:06:13 01/05/19) I was on here some months ago about my jubilee cutting out on me and finding out it was the points, replaced the points back then started up well, but I spun the distributor and it died( didn't realize a hold bolt was loose), but I could never get it to start up again, just puffed smoke, so I thought it was a timing issue(also noted so on here) but also found out no gas was making it to the cylinders. Dry plugs. So I just got back on it today, replaced carb 1 1/4 turn on big screw and 2 turns out on small screw, set timing manually at timing hole 0 TDC (but the rotor is now a different position for No.1 after that dist. spin, don't know if that means anything or not) have spark at plugs, changed ignition switch, checked points gap, distributor dust cap, rotor and dist. cap on correctly, turned on ignition, no start, then it backfired through the exhaust. So, I set the timing again this time 8 degrees BTD, checked everything above, turned over well but never fired up then backfired through the exhaust again. Plugs appear dry so there must be a mis-step somewhere between the fuel uptake and the timing, I'm lost at this point and could use your advice/opinions. Tractor has about 340 hrs on motor. Thanks, Ron
rotate engine full revolution until ) is back in window, set distributor timing here & rotor will be back where you want it & probably start.
0, not )

rcfarms
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 53' Ford Jubilee Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry but I'm a bit confused. I had reset the timing twice (yesterday) since the loose dist.had spun a few months ago. Once at 0 TDC then at 8 degrees before TDC, no start on either but an exhaust backfire, so won't rotating the engine a complete revolution just bring the rotor back to where it is now?

Eman85
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 53' Ford Jubilee Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think what he's trying to say is you have the distributor installed 180 degrees out of time. The cranks turns twice as fast as the distributor.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: 53' Ford Jubilee Reply to specific post Reply with quote

4 stroke engine. 2 revolutions for complete cycle. The 0 mark will occur twice per cycle, once for cyl #1 TDCC and once for cyl # 4 TDCC. I'm saying you installed distributor for #4 TDCC.

rcfarms
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: 53' Ford Jubilee Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ok, hoping I understand, it's 180 degrees out of timing, so I need to rotate the engine one more time to 0 mark for the number one cylinder. I guess I should pull the number 1 plug and insert a screw driver (to push out) to be sure I'm at the number 1 TDCC. Thanks, Ron

rcfarms
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: 53' Ford Jubilee Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think I understand, thanks, Ron

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 53' Ford Jubilee Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-rcfarms wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:28:16 01/06/19) ok, hoping I understand, it's 180 degrees out of timing, so I need to rotate the engine one more time to 0 mark for the number one cylinder. I guess I should pull the number 1 plug and insert a screw driver (to push out) to be sure I'm at the number 1 TDCC. Thanks, Ron
Just because piston is at TDC does not mean it is TDC-Compression, it could be TDC-Exhaust. Gotta be right TDC

jtc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: 53' Ford Jubilee Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="CVPost-rcfarms"](reply to post at 16:06:13 01/05/19) install electronic ing.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: 53' Ford Jubilee Reply to specific post Reply with quote

RCfarms you should be getting gas to the cylinders regardless of timing. You may want to check gas at float bowl drain.

rcfarms
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 53' Ford Jubilee Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ok, I'll check it, and thanks for all of the help.

Jim L WA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 53' Ford Jubilee Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hold your finger in the number one spark plug hole and bump the engine over until you feel compression. Don't rely on sticking a screwdriver in there. Don't throw any more new parts at it (especially electronic ignition). I would even put the old carburetor back on, there was nothing wrong with it. Firing order is 1,2,4,3. clockwise.

Tall T
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 53' Ford Jubilee Reply to specific post Reply with quote

RC,

Here's how I "static" time an OHV engine like your Jubilee.

Here's how I've done it.
If your valve cover is off you can tell when #1 piston is coming up on its compression stroke, when you see the intake valve closing: i.e., the rocker arm is releasing the INTAKE valve spring, letting it come up and close.

At that point I stand a tall slim screwdriver up in the plug hole, using a string or something to keep the screwdriver vertical so that it doesn't bind at the plug hole. this way you can see exactly when the piston reaches Top Dead Center and exactly when the piston begins to descend. But if your valve cover is on, use your finger or a compression guage to plug up #1 spark plug hole. When the piston is coming up on the compression stroke, you will hear or feel air trying to escape past your finger or see action on the compression guage -- then enter the screwdriver method.

Next, after confirming that your rotor is pointing at #1 on the dist cap, and your point gap is properly set, loosen the dist clamp bolt, and turn the dist a little CLOCKWISE to position the point rubbing block on the closest dist cam flat spot , just to the right of the nearest high shoulder, where it will then be ready to climb to that high point as the rotor approaches.

With the cap off of course, turn the key on
Rotate the distributor slightly COUNTERCLOCKWISE
(because the rotor runs CLOCKWISE) just until you see the points begin to open and see and hear a SPARK. Tighten the dist clamp bolt and quickly turn the key off.
Now you know that #1 piston is getting a spark for it's next downward power stroke and if all else is right (wires 1243 Clockwise on the cap) then it will start.

You can fine time it later.

rcfarms
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 53' Ford Jubilee Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, I will try your method.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters