Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Slow Pages

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shinnery
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Slow Pages Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For the last two evenings any time I try to open a thread there has been a delay, from a second or two to nearly twenty seconds and I never know what it is going to be. I do not think I have changed anything on this end, I am on DSL and running Winders 7 Pro with Chrome as a browser. When M/S decides to quit supporting Winders 7 I have a copy of Fedora Linux to install.
Last night I tried getting off YT and reopening it and that seemed to help for a couple minutes but it went back to doing the same thing.

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Slow Pages Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Any time up to 5 or 6 pm pacific time, I've been doing forum rewrites that will stall the system. Could be that. Later than that, I'm not seeing any slowdown so it depends on what time in the evening. I'm doing that off an on all day. This will continue through the weekend and hopefully I'll be done.

shinnery
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow Pages Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just opened this page and it took nearly 15 seconds.

shinnery
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow Pages Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Up to 20 seconds per page opening sure slows the reading down.

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Slow Pages Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wasn't on at that time and there were no backups or other things running. If this is often for you, it must be your ISP. They can prioritize service now and since we aren't affiliated with anyone, we would not be in any paid priority list for any given ISP.

Could also be a circuit problem. I just looked at stats yesterday and we are rated at the top 92% of fastest sites in the world, but that doesn't mean we will appear that way to people from other entry points on the net, especially with the new rules.

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Slow Pages Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If there are a lot of pics in a topic it will open up slowly.
Loren

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Slow Pages Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very true, I hadn't thought of that as a possibility for the slowness, it gets much worse with a sluggish circuit too. If that's it, the initial part of the page will load immediately, but the photos will keep disrupting the layout and bouncing things around on the screen. That happens to me on sites with lots of ads or on our pages when there are several photos.

shinnery
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow Pages Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know, it seems to be only this site and opening this page tonite took over 15 seconds. I am paying for max speed DSL from my telephone Co-op. I do have an ad-blocker running. The pages seem to open completely as soon as they start opening, no slowness for the pictures. I can click on a page and it may open in a second or two or do nothing except the little circle spinning up at the top of the page for up to twenty seconds. This seemed to start Thursday evening.

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow Pages Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wish I could offer a better explanation, but I'm at a loss. It was a 2 second load on satellite and verizon was under a second, couldn't even measure it. It's probably on your ISP. Like I say, with the ability for them to relegate all sites that don't pay, to a second place slot in bandwidth, that's the only thing I can think of. Many big sites are hosted on Google and Amazon and may be preferred by that status, we're independent and have our own circuits, and that is unusual for large sites. Of course we can't afford to pay to be a privileged site with all the ISPs.

shinnery
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow Pages Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just went to the Minnie Mo forum and the thread "What do these Pistons Fit" opened nearly instantly and the next thread about toy tractors took over 15 seconds. Then on Crawler, Dozer forum the first three threads took a long time and the fourth opened immeadiately. I can call the Co-op Monday and bugg them.

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow Pages Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't think they'd admit prioritizing bandwidth, but there is a lot of money to be made from it for ISPs. Still fast on my two connections so I'd guess it's local to that ISP.

I spose it could also be some sort of caching the ISP does, a proxy server that caches the pages they've already had requested. Seems remote that that could do it, but if the same page loads fast over and over, but new pages you've not seen are slow, that could suggest a proxy server doing the local serving of already loaded pages.

shinnery
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Slow Pages Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I called the telephone Co=op and complained, She said it wasn't on their end. She did say she could possibly give me a little more speed. She adjusted something and said it changed from 20 to 21 whatever that is. Tonite every thing has worked beautiful. No slow page openings at all. We shall see.
I am on Taylor Telephone Co-op and am a half mile from one of their Boxes or point of presence and 5 miles out of a town of 650 souls. They have run fiber optic out the other roads near here but not the one I am on.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Site Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters