Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Remove rear wheels from a CA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barry E

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Remove rear wheels from a CA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm restoring a '52 CA and have been unable to loosen the 1/2" sq. head eccentric bolts or the simliar bolts on the wheel locks. Have soaked them in WD 40 and simliar and have tried heat without success. Any ideas on how I can get them loose. If all else fails can the wheels be removed with the hub as one piece?

Dick L

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Remove rear wheels from a CA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had one CA tractor that was rusted like that and just removed all the clamp bolts to get it apart and turned the fire wrench on them to get them to move. Took them apart and cleaned them up on a wire wheel. You will have to use a heavy hammer on the first clamp and maybe the second with a punch. Probly lose the threads and have to buy two or four bolts.

Barry E

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Remove rear wheels from a CA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Dick. By clamp bolts, do you mean the eccentrics? I have removed the six bolts that hold the three eccentric bolt bodies to the wheel but without being able to turn the eccentrics nothing moves.

Did you damage the tire at all with the flame wrench? My tires are very good and I would rather not damage them. The tubes are expendable though.

Dick L

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Remove rear wheels from a CA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a CA sitting out back and will look and see but as I am remembering, I thought I was able to pound on the back side of the tire and get the eccentrics castings to break away from the wheel. I do know that I removed the tire and rim from the wheel and the eccentrics would not turn.
Backatchya later onit.

Dick L

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Remember Better Now Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I walked out and now remember who I did it. I had to pound on the back of the tire to get the wheel, rin, and tire off the hub. I laid the tire up on 6"X 6" cribing. I laid a block of wood beside the eccentrics and beat it down and off with a heavy sledge. No damage except to the block of wood.

Barry E

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Remember Better Now Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So, I take it you removed the wheel, tire and rim in one piece and then hammered away. Right?

Dick L

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Remember Better Now Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is correct. On that tractor the wheel did not come off the hub easy. I just stand tall and sling a big hammer. (:^D

Mike(Col.Sta.Oh)

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove rear wheels from a CA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You said you removed the six bolts - remove the bolts from the non eccentric one also. Just to clarify in case you didnt.

Barry E

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove rear wheels from a CA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep, noted that also. Also did loosen the wheel to hub bolts and, as Dick L said, the wheel doesn't come off the hub easily (much like my wife's Honda). Plan to use heat on it (works well on the Honda!)

Mike(Col.Sta.Oh)

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove rear wheels from a CA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok my problem was not with my CA but with a WD, which should be the same. To get the tire off the tractor I used PBBlaster on it first for a couple days then jacked up a side, spun the tire, and whacked the rubber portion of the tire with a sledge and eventually it came off the hub. Then I took off the 8 bolts from the pieces for spinout (3 eccentrics and 1 dummy) laid the tire on the ground with outside of rim facing up. Put a piece of wood on it and whacked it again with sledge till it fell through. After that I soaked the eccentrics in muratic acid for a day, took them apart, wired brushed them, then put them back together with antiseize.

Barry E

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Remove rear wheels from a CA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That makes two of you with the same technique. Going away for a bit but will try it when I return. Thanks much for your help.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember Better Now Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When we did ours I got the socket out and the 3/4 drive rachet and did not even try and it busted the first square off then I left it flat on the ground and started soaking the others and then heat but I would hit it with the impackt wrench and they finaly came apart took a good month or two

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters