Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

68 Camaro For Christmas

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: 68 Camaro For Christmas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Boss's BIL bought a mostly restored 68 Camaro for his elderly dad (himself!) for Christmas. I've never met the dad, but I suspect he's getting up in years, not going to like the car the way it is running now.

It's already been dumped in my lap to make it road worthy after the holidays are over.

As it is, the body and interior are excellent, the engine sounds good, good (high) oil pressure, good tires...

I haven't driven it, just started it up and walked around it giving a once over.

The engine, a small block, is modified, not sure what has been done but has a radical cam, unknown compression ratio, headers, MSD ignition, and a Holly double pumper on a single plane aluminum intake.

It is horribly cold natured, manual choke that's not connected, A very noisy electric pump in the rear, unknown pressure/model, a pressure regulator on the fender well, and a solid steel line running from the regulator to the carb! True to the Holley reputation, it's leaking gas out of the rear accelerator pump. It seems to finally warm up and take throttle but the radical cam gives no hope of decent idle. The exhaust fumes are overwhelming!

I've been asked to do something to make it driveable. I want to try to talk them into an aftermarket TBI system. I don't see any carburetor being practical with the ethanol gas and the radical cam. I could change the cam, but I suspect it has high compression pistons because it tries to diesel when shut off. This will never be a daily driver. Once the new wears off it will probably sit for 6 months at a time.

I was looking at MSD injection, thinking it will be compatible with the ignition system, that the 2 can be tuned together.

Any thoughts? Will this be compatible with the idle problems of the cam?

Other ideas?

Also the headlight doors...

The doors and headlights are there, but the actuators are missing. Detroit Speed offers an electric servo kit for $470.

Any opinion, good or bad, other options?

Thanks!

And Merry Christmas to all!
MSD Injection

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Camaro For Christmas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can put the intake manual with injectors from later model on it and put a mega squirt controller on.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Camaro For Christmas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Easier and cheaper to just swap out the engine for a standard issue small block with low compression and a 2 bbl. carb.

MSM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Camaro For Christmas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

May as well pull the engine and strip it down so you know what you have to work with.With the big cam, and unknown compression ratio,even installing an aftermarket throttle body injection won't cure the driveability problems. It probably has no bottom end power with the cam that is in it,cam is going to come in around 3-3500 rpm and be prone to hard starting,plug fouling and no in slow traffic power at all. I would say the easiest, but not cheapest route would be to install a 350 Chevy crate engine with aftermarket TBI tuned properly with an HEI distributor. Sell off the ricky racer engine as a long block,along with the intake carb and ignition to offset the costs of a swap. Drop the fuel tank,install an in tank pump. This way it will start at the turn of the key, return acceptable gas mileage,and be more driver friendly in traffic without the heavy exhaust fumes and plug fouling.JMHO

Billy Shafer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Camaro For Christmas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It will never idle with that cam in it. Sounds like the car has been so messed up. It would be better to find another car. I use to service Raymond Beetles track van. Learned alot from him and others.

Papaw8
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Camaro For Christmas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would probably put a stock cam and new lifters and a dual plane intake.think you can get ethanol resistant accelerator pumps and power valves for holleys.

Keith True
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Camaro For Christmas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For what he wants to do I would agree with Rustyfarmalls idea.All the add-ons you are talking about cost real money.If you were building it from scratch,you can mate all the components together to get what you want.As it is,you have no idea what it has for pistons,cam,etc.You may have to keep adding stuff to make stuff work,putting expensive band-aids over other band-aids.That engine can be pulled apart in no time,if the block and crank measure out good you could buy aftermarket pistons,cam,lifters,etc for short money.MSD makes good stuff,but it is not cheap.That engine is probably the cheapest engine in the world to buy parts for.Last summer I stripped down a 327 in a 57 Chevy for a friend,he had put a couple thousand into trying to make his electronic injection work.The sensors were not compatible with his cam.And,that was just the start.We put in stock pistons and cam,and a stock manifold and two barrel.We did use an HEI ignition from a 1975.All the parts were less than just the injection setup.

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Camaro For Christmas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First measure compression with gauge. Second change out the cam to a known grind . Dealing with an unknown cam does not work well.

Papaw8
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Camaro For Christmas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Higher than stock compression will be ok may have to use premium.dieseling after shutoff probably due to throttle butterfly adjusted open enough to idle with hot cam.also single plane intake hurts low rpm drivability.stock cam with dual plane should idle and drive good even with high compression.

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Camaro For Christmas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A 750 double pumper was never built to put on a street engine. Change the cam,put on an after market FI on it and enjoy driving it. You can call the cam manufacture of choice tell them what you want and what you have,they will give you a recommendation.(Crain,Iski etc.)
Before someone jumps on me about how they have had a double pump for years, every time you hit the pedal you wash the oil off of the cylinder walls and cause cylinder scuff. Remember when getting a 100,000 miles on a stock car was a big deal.Drag cars rebuilt every year and go what two miles a week. On a FI look around some are plug and play and some need a dyno just to start them.

Bruce(OR)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Camaro For Christmas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If that was dropped in my lap, I know what they are after and there are several ways to get there.
If you can get hold of the prior owner, find out what they did. Unable to? Tear down what you have at least to the cam measurements and a bore scope in the plug hole to have a look at the piston tops.
If money is not a problem, and a few people have no problem, yank out the unknown and put in a known entity of the customers choosing.
Holley carb? I am having fits with an Edelbrock and I believe it is a bit easier to play with that the Holley that it is replacing. Having already gone through the Holley once.
Most people figure bigger carb to fix all ills. That might not really work.
My bigger cam needs that 750 double pumper. No, Not really.
A car is a designed set of problems.
A Hot Rod is a man made problems and the list is exponential.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Camaro For Christmas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have no idea why anyone would want a carburetor on a car?

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Camaro For Christmas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-David G wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:54:28 12/25/1Cool I have no idea why anyone would want a carburetor on a car?

Carburetors do not require finicky electronics or computers to make them function.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Camaro For Christmas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

More like carburetors are finicky and unreliable.

1Plowboy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Camaro For Christmas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Look up Edelbrock Thunder Series. Good carb with electric choke. 1/3 the price of EFI. Good performance.
Untitled URL Link

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters