Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Posts are not playing nice again

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Posts are not playing nice again Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Replies to my post are separated again and then
get an error code when trying to reply

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Posts are not playing nice again Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From your phone you can't see it, but any apostrophe or quotation mark from your phone is generating a different character than what most of our computers see. My iPhone won't do it either so I'm not sure why your browser is generating them. They are called unicode characters and are binary to our old ascii text based software. Classic View replies will always fail to find the original thread and replies will be treated as threads themselves. It won't do it if you don't put apostrophe or quote in your subject. That's a workaround until I can figure out how to duplicate it on my phone, and then replace the unicode versions with regular ascii apostrophes and quotation marks.

What other people see is a ? (which also isn't actually a question mark) in the subject and that is a binary sequence that can't be matched up. I had this on my list to fix since we did the secure conversion and I saw it happening with your posts and a couple of other peoples. Might be unique to Chrome on the iPhone or something like that, and may even involve a character set change from standard. I actually tried to find a solution but failed before I had to move to the sales tax project. We also lost our back up server and I have to fix that before I get to it.

Sorry for the gobblegook description but it's hard to explain it. Just suffice it to say it's on the list, and until then, putting no special characters in your subjects will keep it from happening until I do figure it out.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Posts are not playing nice again Reply to specific post Reply with quote

D**n autocorrect strikes again ! I didn?t use an
apostrophe but apparently the phone thought it
needed to 😡😡.

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Posts are not playing nice again Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That hits me all the time with the phone, but the basic problem is the unicode not being handled by our old software. I have to fix it and then it won't matter. Catching those characters and translating them is tricky though, in the few hours I worked on it, every thing I tried failed.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Posts are not playing nice again Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can?t imagine what it takes to keep this place going
trying to get phones and computers to play with
each other and whatever else

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Posts are not playing nice again Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The reason is antiquated software. It's hard to drag along what people want to use, not impossible though, but you have to factor in that there are only two of us doing everything for the site itself. Just keeping up with the hackers and backups is a full time job.

kevinthefixer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Posts are not playing nice again Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Chris, I've just become aware that I am having problems with my posts also. One user hight Dcase was quite upset. I switched to Classic View and could see what he was talking about! It's been a year and better but maybe you'll remember I use Seamonkey on Linux, so you may well be on to something with odd fonts generating special characters. I will avoid quotes and apostrophes and see what happens. In the meantime let me know if I can help.

Kevin

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Posts are not playing nice again Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Seamonkey may use UNICODE. I'll see if I can test with that since it's something I can run on the computer. I'll install it.

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Posts are not playing nice again Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I tried Seamonkey and couldn't duplicate it on either classic or modern. Seamonkey worked great and generated good old fashioned ASCII. If I could just figure out how to duplicate the problem, I think I could fix it.

kevinthefixer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Posts are not playing nice again Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My thought is that you mentioned posts originating from Android or Chrome on I-Phone, and mine originate from Linux. Perhaps its anything that is not Windows? Just a suggestion, but you might try booting your computer to a Linux live-DVD, just boot your machine to the DVD and try posting stuff with whichever browser. Offhand I know that Puppy Linux, Ubuntu and Debian all have .iso files available for download of live DVDs. Puppy may still fit on a CD, not sure as I havent used it in a few years.
http://puppylinux.com/download/index.html
https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unofficial/non-free/images-including-firmware/current-live/
Lots of luck, and again holler if I can help.

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Posts are not playing nice again Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm mostly use a Mac for my workstation here at the farm, so it's not just Windows that still puts ASCII out. But I can put puppylinux in a virtual box and test with that, I use Ubuntu occasionally so I already can install ISO files. In fact, now that you mention it, I could just test with that and seamonkey.

kevinthefixer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Posts are not playing nice again Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah, since I'm using Debian, Ubuntu with Seamonkey should give pretty much identical results. I think Ubuntu has a newer kernel but it won't make much difference. I believe current Ubuntu is based on Buster, currently in testing, Im using Stretch (stable). I find Ubuntu pretty thoroughly unimpressive, though, they try way too hard to look like Windows. Been enjoying Debian, have not had a problem I could not solve yet although a couple things have been a challenge. Debian is not for noobs but for me the result is worth the effort--and my laptop boots from power-off to working desktop in less than 20 seconds!

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Posts are not playing nice again Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I spend most of my time in a bash shell anyway, I'm not real fond of guis for doing work. I used Ubuntu because I was building a array of SoCs to see if it would support the forum server without using an expensive computer. They all used a cut down version of Ubuntu so I made the ISOs on my Mac in a Ubuntu virtual, but of course, there was no screen so the gui didn't matter. The project was a success and I could do 10000 web views a second without breathing hard off just 5 little SoCs, but I still had to have a central server to support the database that fed them, so it ended up being more hassle than it's worth since I'd still have to have one fail point that was the database server. It was a fun project and really cheap. I figured for a few hundred, we would have a "server" made of 40 or 50 throwaway boards. We'd never go down because you just plug in a new board when one quit responding, and just add more on if people complained about slowness. All these little boards were running linux, I gave up on it though because I'd still have a power hog server in the middle of it, and I'm not sure those cheap boards would have been reliable. The thing actually would make a plenty useful desktop with just one of the boards, about $30 for the SoC computer. If someone really wanted to stop buying expensive computers, it's pretty easy to make your own. Here's a photo of it.

kevinthefixer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Posts are not playing nice again Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That does look like a fun project. Those aren't Raspberry Pi boards, or at least they don't look like mine, what are they? A Pi does make a decent desktop computer if a little slow. Great for schoolkids, which is what they were designed for.

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Posts are not playing nice again Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those are PCDuinos, really cheap on a closeout, like $15 apiece, half price. For the production, I'd planned to use a small US board that was a bit more expensive but I hoped would be more reliable, it turned out to be too expensive, it was an Intel and they'd just released it in 2014 so it was like 10 times the price. You'll see these PCDuinos have a full arduino socket layout and I think that's what they are actually designed for, like an arduino with lots of memory and a real OS running it. I have a Pi too, I was thinking of hollowing out an old guitar body blank and making a home brew tablet out of it, then came across the cubie board and was going to use it for higher performance, too many projects though. It's been on the back burner for 5 years now, D17 diesel rebuild is the only thing I'll do in spare time this year. Basically, all my little SoCs are antiquated as a result of not enough time. I haven't even looked at what's on the market nowadays, probably very powerful.

I've often hoped these might be useful in the shop. My brother used an arduino to set up his large mill and I tried one in a small wood mill I created. My hope was I could upscale that to a plasma cutter for sheet metal fabrication, but as always, not enough time for the fun projects. It would been too expensive anyway to make it rigid enough, but the idea of being able to turn out sheet metal parts easily and accurately in a few minutes, is appealing. Now interestingly, I gave the wood mill to my nephew, and he, being a carpenter by trade, put a high quality router on it and was able to program it to do aluminum parts for his fishing boat. It earned it's keep that way turning out parts that cost more than price of the pieces to put it together.

So many possible projects, but the difficulty here is I'm already retired and still work double shifts most every day Wink. Obviously, these kind of projects would take shade tree fabrication to a new level on a shoestring if there were time to work them.

There was one other board I toyed with, you've probably heard of it, it was a Beaglebone Black if memory serves. That was the cleanest board I worked with. Very professional in the support.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Site Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters